How do I completely format my pc?

hhh123kid 14:37 12 Sep 2007

Hey guys, I have an old pc that hasnt been formatted since it was bough around 6 years ago. Theres a lot of stuff on it I dont want so I just want to start fresh and completely format it and reintsall windows. My friend said he has a program that will completely wipe the pc because he says if you format normally "the data isnt deleted its just free to be written over". He said he used it when he gave his pc away. I'm not giving my pc away but I like the idea of starting completely fresh do does anyone know what program he was talking about? He's on holiday atm.

Also, after I format do I only need my windows cd that I got with the pc? (XP Home) Or do I need something else? I have an internet connection so I suppose I could use that to update windows and get whatever drivers are needed.

I've never done this before so I'd be grateful for all the help,

Thanks a lot.

silverous 14:49 12 Sep 2007

Look for DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) - it can be put on a floppy then the pc booted from the floppy and the disk(s) wiped.

silverous 14:49 12 Sep 2007

Once you've wiped it an XP CD should do the job of reinstalling you may need some drivers which as you say you can download. If it is XP and not XP SP2 you may have some big downloads to do!

hhh123kid 14:52 12 Sep 2007

Thanks a lot, thats the one he was using. Yeah I doubt its SP2, how big a download are we talkin? i wouldnt mind except I have a lame download limit.

silverous 14:54 12 Sep 2007

260+ mb I believe. I think you can order a CD from MS if you wish.

hhh123kid 14:55 12 Sep 2007

Ah thats fine, Thanks for your help, hopefully I wont mess everythin up :P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?