How do I choose an upgrade graphics card safely

dracsville 12:01 25 Dec 2006

Ive an 8 year old computer with Matrox G400 graphics card. I would like a faster one for gaming but fear cooking my motherboard if I choose the wrong one. I've been looking at XFX Geforce 5200 and 6200A 128Mb AGP cards. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

[email protected] 12:10 25 Dec 2006

It's not just a question of choice - it first has to be compatibility. Modern VGA cards demand a pretty high spec. Visit the site of your card choice, check min requirements then see if you can satisfy them. A modern VGA will be lost without a monitor and PC to do it justice. I don't think you will cook anything, you will just be disappointed with results ;-)

Belatucadrus 12:46 25 Dec 2006

Try the Crucial Graphics Card advisor click here

I am Spartacus 13:20 25 Dec 2006

Although the Matrox has an AGP connector it's one of the early versions which was 2/4 x so you won't get the full benefit of a new card. The processor is also likely to be too slow to play any reasonably demanding games.

citadel 13:46 25 Dec 2006

if you want to play games you will be better off buying a new base unit with a core 2 duo and a pci express card.

dracsville 14:00 25 Dec 2006

I just want a small increase in memory ability and speed to help on-line snooker play. At present it is inclined to be a bit jerky and laggy.

citadel 15:27 25 Dec 2006

have a look at manufactures website to check system requirements of any card you want. for example 6200 requires 300 psu. also look at motherboard req this will should say agp 2 or higher. this means an agp 8 card will run at 2 or 4 or 8 depending on the motherboard you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?