How do I check my real internet speed

Garawa 11:51 28 Jan 2010

Hi, been going round in circles getting bits of info so I thought I'd try here. My internet is incredibly slow. In fact my 5Mb seems slower than when I had 2Mb! I have cleared the cache, deleted all temp etc files and checked for spyware etc which slows the system as clean.

A few months ago I all but lost the internet which turned out to be a faulty filter. It was previously connected (I know) to the socket using a phone extension. While I waited for the filters to arrive, I took the time to replace the cable with a modem one. Since then, my speeds have shrunk. Webpages take ages to load and video, although at times good quality, can be very jerky on ITV player.

In a nutshell, I was showing diagnostic speeds of between 3.4Mbps (peak) and 3.7Mbps (off peak) on a phone cable. With new filters and a modem cable connected to the same socket I am now getting 3.2Mbps (off peak) but only a paultry 2.4 at peak times. If connected to the test socket I get really fast downloads at around 5.6Mbps but I cant leave it there as I lose all my upstairs extensions. I suspect I am getting speeds much slower than shown on the diagnostics also.

Any ideas?

The Kestrel 11:58 28 Jan 2010

If you are running your PCs from extensions and there is a marked difference in speed from the test socket, it might be worth fitting one of these to your master socket click here. I did this and my speed increased around 25 to 30%

Garawa 12:14 28 Jan 2010

Thanks, I will have to get one when they are back in stock.

I was more interested though as to why my speeds have dropped significantly when I am using all new equipment and the proper way of connecting. I have been told that using phone extensions are a no no but why, on a rubbish phone extension did I get over 1Mb more?

And how do I see what speed the pc is actually uploading and downloading at (and what it should be) if my speed is showing as 3Mbps?

The Kestrel 13:32 28 Jan 2010

Have you tried one of the various broadband speed testers. I use this one click here which seems to give reasonably accurate results.

The Kestrel 13:34 28 Jan 2010

Meant to mention that I got my I-Plate from click here. I used the BT site as it gave lots of information about the plate.

Garawa 14:25 28 Jan 2010

Thanks for that. It seems my broadband speed seems to be normal so there may be other issues slowing IE. I think I may have to borrow more filters to see if I was sent some dodgy ones.

The Iplate should improve speeds but I am guessing that as I am only getting just over half my potential, this may just improve it back to the level it was before the "improvements".

john bunyan 14:37 28 Jan 2010

As well as factors such as how far from the exchange you are, etc, I think a lot depends on which ISP you are with. I have been with Pipex for many years - recently taken over by Tiscali and in turn by Talk Talk. The only reason I stay is that their spam filter is good now and I cannot face the fag of changing e mail addresses. My "up to 8 Mbps" has varied from as low as 1 to just over 6 Mbps. I an sure the main reson is how many customers are using the "pipe" that supplies me. I have had a number of goes at them and have tried all the things they suggest such as using the test socket etc. I use speedtest.net to check speeds.I hope they improve as Talk Talk integrate the system. I thought of changing to Zen - the top dog in "Which"

Garawa 15:04 28 Jan 2010

I am with Tiscali and they weren't a great deal of help even when my speed dropped to a tiny 145Kbps at the start of my problem. When I was on the 2Mb service the lowest speeds I got was 1.2Mbps. On the 4Mb service I usually got 2.8Mbps and only the 8Mb service I got 3.7Mbps. All these remained very stable. I now get around 2.4 but can be as high as 3.3Mbps and the only variable in all this is a better (proper) cable and new filters. I can't figure out how after years of stable speeds I have dropped a lot by having a better set up that fluctuates massively.

Garawa 15:06 28 Jan 2010

PS, this means that after 14 months+ of being on twice as fast service (8Mbps)I know have speeds slower than those I achieved when on the 4Mbps.

The Kestrel 15:19 28 Jan 2010

I find IE, as a browser, much slower than either Google Chrome or Firefox, both of which I use as browsers. It might be worth giving one of these a go in place of IE. You can always keep IE on your PC as well. In fact I have all three available.

john bunyan 15:56 28 Jan 2010

I think this is a Tiscali issue. Yesterday I got over 6 Mbps. Today 2.34. My average recently 2.44! Average for this ISP according to speedtest.net is 3.35.Luckily I am on a one month rolling contract so can ditch them at quite short notice. There are simply too many users on stream at times, so they cannot supply enough bandwidth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017