How do I check card reader?

Hetti 22:43 01 Feb 2005

I had a card reader installed onto my new PC, I tried to use it today for the first time and when I insert SD card nothing happens, no busy sign no photos nothing i have not used a card reader before, I used USB how can I check if the reader is installed correctly.

I will check back here tomorrow,
Bedtime now!!!

Thanks

PA28 22:48 01 Feb 2005

On the assumption that you have XP then look in Device manager and see if it's been detected. If you are working in 98, then you will need to install driver software. Sweet dreams!

Hetti 06:48 02 Feb 2005

PA28
The card reader is not listed in device manager,

It has two light on front of it the green one lights up when I power up PC, the other one is a red one...... I have never seen that one on

Clint2 06:58 02 Feb 2005

I recently added a card reader to my system (Win Me). In 'My Computer' four new drives were added and inside one of the drives were my pix downloaded to a a folder.

PA28 08:32 02 Feb 2005

Morning! Can you use the USB port that you plugged the reader into for another USB device (alternatively plug the reader into another, known to be good, USB port). I am trying to eliminate either the reader or your USB as the cause of your problem as it should pick up straight away and show in Device Manager.

PA28 08:33 02 Feb 2005

oh - and try leaving it unplugged until the computer is running, then plug it in.

Sethhaniel 09:16 02 Feb 2005

is the card reader listed in windows explorer as a drive letter i.e. 'E'
(floppy =A hard drive =C CDROM ='D')
if so you can test it by copying small picture file from 'C' to 'E' and see if its working ;)

billyliv 09:47 02 Feb 2005

Hi, In 'My Computer' you should see the card reader listed as 'Removable disk (?), 4 times. The (?) being a drive letter other than A, C, D or E if you have two DVD/CD Roms fitted. Cheers, Bill

Stuartli 09:59 02 Feb 2005

If you connect your card reader (I'm assuming you have XP as it's a new PC) and then right click on My Computer and select Explore, the card reader should be listed under the next letter following those allocated to your floppy, HDD, CD/DVD-ROM and/or rewriter.

If it is a 4, 5, 6, 7 or more in-1 card reader then several letters may be listed i.e H, I, J and K.

Ensure you have your Secure Digital card in the reader and check each letter listed until you discover which "drive" letter brings up the card's contents. Remember for future reference.

Fellsider 10:56 02 Feb 2005

It's not a Medion is it?

When I got mine none of the card reader slots or the front USBs worked - engineer came out and They weren't plugged into the motherboard!!

NormanD 13:44 02 Feb 2005

If you have a multi-card reader (4in1, 6in1, 8in1 etc) and the drive letters e.g. H, I, J, K etc, are appearing make sure you are inserting your Secure Digital card the correct way up in the slot.
Norman

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone