how do i change a file name

mpez 11:51 03 Oct 2006

Hi

Im in the middle of of solving a problem with my computer, I have done a hjt log to the malware removal site but i have to rename the hjt.exe, i dont know where to look or change it , if anyone could help me it is much appreciated
thanks

VoG II 11:57 03 Oct 2006

I don't understand why you need to rename it? Do you mean that you've been asked to move hijackthis.exe to its own folder?

mpez 12:05 03 Oct 2006

yes sorry ,im getting a little bit tired and frustrated, , ive done all the necessary checks in the hjt but now i need to post a fresh log and they have asked me to do what you have said but i dont know how,if you could explain to me in simple terms (lol) i would be so grateful
thanks

wee eddie 12:05 03 Oct 2006

I'm with VoG™ on this one, might you like to rephrase your Question.

However at a more basic level.

Right Click on the File and select Rename.

There used to be a sort of convention that many folk prefixed (or suffixed)the, to be renamed file, with the word "old". This made it easy to find should you need it again.

mpez 12:07 03 Oct 2006

Also i have got to give it a different name and then i have to double click it and it will relaunch hjt again, so to be a bit thick (lol)
mpez

mpez 12:08 03 Oct 2006

meant to be "sorry to be a bit thick"

wee eddie 12:09 03 Oct 2006

Some folk just add the date (in reverse order "06.10.03") to the File name before the .exe or whatever it's suffix is.

VoG II 12:12 03 Oct 2006

No, it needs to be moved to its own folder, not renamed. Please see click here which explains how to extract the file that you downloaded into a new folder.

mpez 12:21 03 Oct 2006

thanks VoG™ i have printed off all this info and have tried it, do i have uninstall the hjt that i have in add and remove programs and start again because it says you already have hjt do you want to replace it, and the wnzip says it expired and i cant get any further than i already have ("boo hoo") it just ends up it being on notepad txt
cheers

VoG II 12:25 03 Oct 2006

If you have XP then you shouldn't need to use Winzip - the instructions are a bit ambiguous - I'll let Nellie2 know about that.

Proceed as far as 'The HijackThis folder will open to show the HijackThis program ready to use.' then skip all the Winzip stuff and continue from 'How To Run Hijackthis For The First Time'.

mpez 12:34 03 Oct 2006

thanks VoG™ done exactly that now, and posted a fresh one, hope now its all sorted.

many thanks
mpez

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone