How do I change boot order

bumpkin 19:37 29 Oct 2016
Answered

EUFI bios, PC always boots into W7 when I want W10 unless I go into bios and click the drive with W10 on it, then it works. I have tried changing it but when I try to change it in advanced it says not supported but it must be as if I click it then W10 boots up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:45 29 Oct 2016

assuming win 7 on d:

bcdboot d:\windows /d /addlast

run from an elevated command prompt will add the second Windows OS

bumpkin 11:30 30 Oct 2016

Trying that gives me "failure when attempting to copy boot files"

I was using EasyBCD which gave me the on screen choice of O/S, now just boots into W7 and runs chkdsk every time.

Govan1x 12:54 30 Oct 2016

Not knowing a lot about it but can you not change it in msconfig,Boot. and make whichever one you want as default as it should show both.

Just guessing as I don't really have a clue.

bumpkin 21:01 31 Oct 2016

Any other suggestions anyone.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:07 31 Oct 2016

try pressing F12 should give you a choice of boot items

bumpkin 14:02 01 Nov 2016

It does but only shows W7, nothing else. If I chose the W10 drive manually in BIOS it then gives the choice and defaults to W10 after 10 secs.

Forum Editor 17:58 01 Nov 2016

Have you put Windows 10 into a totally different hard drive, or into a separate partition on the same drive as Windows 7?

Ideally, Windows 10 would be in a separate partition on your C: drive. Then you would get the multiple choice when booting.

bumpkin 19:15 01 Nov 2016

It is on a different drive but was fine in the past using Easy BCD. Before loading any O/S I would get the choice on the screen. I do tend to play about with things with my limited knowledge and think I may have messed up a setting somewhere.

bumpkin 22:18 02 Nov 2016

Anyone other suggestions?

BRYNIT 23:23 02 Nov 2016

If you still have Easy BCD on your computer you may have disabled it. Open Easy BCD and check the settings or uninstall and reinstall Easy BCD.

Also most computers allow you to go into a boot menu by pressing an F key on my computer it's f11, from here you can select the drive to boot from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?