How do I block a web site

  golfpro 14:56 05 Jan 2008

A member of my family insists on keep accessing a certain web site on my computer.
I don't want this, so how do I block this so that she can not access the site. I don't want to stop her using the computer just this one site.

  Technotiger 15:05 05 Jan 2008

You could deny the wed-site access via your Firewall.

  Technotiger 15:09 05 Jan 2008

Or if using IE you could set a Password for that site via Tools>Internet Options>Content

  Technotiger 15:10 05 Jan 2008

Hmm, just noticed ... deny the wed-site :-) should be web-site, though of course you knew that didn't you!

  golfpro 15:16 05 Jan 2008

I think she would figure this out in no time and unblock it.

  Technotiger 15:19 05 Jan 2008

Not if you don't tell her the Password you create, in Content as above.

  birdface 15:28 05 Jan 2008

How about.Tools.Internet Options.Privacy.Sites.Type in the web Address and press Bock.I have never tried it but it should work.

  birdface 15:29 05 Jan 2008

That should say Block.

  Simsy 17:10 05 Jan 2008

deny everyone access to it?

If so you could deny access by enetring it in the "Hosts" file.

I can't remember exactly how to do this, but it is easy. A google search should reveal it with no problem.

Good luck,



  MAJ 17:19 05 Jan 2008

At the top of the HOSTS file, you will see this line: localhost

Enter this next line somewhere below that line: The address of the site you want to block

then go to File > Save.

For example, if you wanted to block Google, you would enter: w ww.

without the spaces in the web address.

  p;3 18:13 05 Jan 2008

if it is an offensive/obscene site (presumably?)if you try and block one site I am sure they will use google and find another; may one ask why you wish to block the site?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?