How do I backup my music

charlton200 18:35 01 Jan 2006

I have about 60 albums on my computer and play them through musicmatch jukebox.

I have never backed them up , mainly because I do not know how to.

Is there an easyway to do this so in the event of a crash I do not lose the lot.
I have just backed up all my photos, at last to dvd/rw disc. so i thought my music would be next.
Any advise would be great.
Many thanks,

octal 18:38 01 Jan 2006

The same as you did for your photo's.

rawprawn 18:43 01 Jan 2006

Ditto.octal.

Diodorus Siculus 18:46 01 Jan 2006

How did you get them onto the PC?

charlton200 19:00 01 Jan 2006

I put them on through music match jukebox

Diodorus Siculus 19:06 01 Jan 2006

By copying from CD? If so, use the original CDs.

If you don't have the originals, then they are likely to be copied as mp3 files - simply find them and backup as you do other data files. MMJB should be able to tell you where they are stored.

charlton200 19:13 01 Jan 2006

Yes i put them on from ,my original cd's.But if i lost them on the computer, it takes ages to put them back.
Are you saying by using music match ,I have converted them to mp3,s.
If so ,if I copied them to dvd/rw disc and then had a crash or lost them, wouldn't I be able to put them back on and still play them.

Thanks for your help.

Diodorus Siculus 19:41 01 Jan 2006

I don't use mmjb but I'm sure that somewhere in its options it will tell you where data is stored. Copy that folder.

Then when you reinstall mmjb you will be able to copy back the folder and tell the program to scan for music.

That's how I see it anyway.

Ivor_Monkey 19:52 01 Jan 2006

I don't know MMJB, but you may find that there is a folder or library of all your tracks. MMJB probably just draws on them. Each CD should be in its own sub-folder. You simply locate the main folder and backup.

MP3: My guess is that when you "imported" the tracks from the CDs, your software converted them to MP3. You should customised the importing so that you choose the best compression rate. For some people, 126 is too compressed. I import at nearer 296 to get music that is closer to cd quality without having incredibly large files.

newts 20:27 01 Jan 2006

I run MMJB and imported music is generally filed under My Music. When you start the recorder click tools and there it will show you how you recorded. You can select MP3, WAV Mp3pro or Windows Media Audio. I usually go for Wav with CD quality as although this is much larger than Mp3 it produces the best reproduction, personal thing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?