How do i back-up to a floppy??

Thomo1 18:50 18 Feb 2005

Hello all.

I am wanting to save my music folder, and certain software such as Adaware,A2, and other programs i have downlaoded all to floppy disks before i wipe my HD clean.

How do you do it as when i click the programs on my desktop and send it to A: it just saves the shortbut. Same applies when i try to save 1 of my albums i have saved on the HD, when i send it to the A: it just copies and saves the folder not the content.

Thanks

FelixTCat 18:57 18 Feb 2005

First, the floppy disk has a very small capacity - only 1.44 MB - you won't get much on a single disk.

When you want to copy, open the folder containing the files you want to copy, right-click and hold the right mouse button down. Drag the file to the A: drive icon in My Computer and release. A menu comes up offering Move, Copy or Create a Shortcut. Click Copy and the file will be copied.

Good luck - you will need a huge stack of floppies.

But first, why do you want to wipe your hard disk? There may be much better ways of achieving your desired objective.

Technotiger 18:58 18 Feb 2005

Hi, floppies only hold 1.44 meg so you will need to

DataKeeper - Download DataKeeper
...the highest of any Windows 95/98 backup program, saving you disk ... files onto multiple floppies, as well as storage of multi-gigabyte files...
click here

for saving to muliple floppies.

Cheers

Thomo1 19:05 18 Feb 2005

would it be easier to save to a CD-R???

Technotiger 19:27 18 Feb 2005

Hi, and Yes.

woodchip 19:43 18 Feb 2005

just drag the files onto the CD drive in Windows Explorer if you are using XP

anchor 20:12 18 Feb 2005

If you have not got a CD burner, then consider a USB pen drive, (if you have a USB port).

Jak_1 20:29 18 Feb 2005

Considering cd's are so cheap now it makes sense to use them as you would a floppy.

I only ever use floppies now for word files etc that I can take to work with me.

However for some files that are s few MB's and didn't want to wast a cd (I had no cd-rw disks at the time) I zipped the file with winzip then split it with master splitter and then moved it to another pc. All that was required then was to open the zip files and then click on the bat file to re-join the peices.

Much depends on the file size, if it is only 3 MB then it is worth zipping and splitting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone