How do I access my Network HDD via my WiFi router?

bayford 17:52 01 Jul 2007

Hi guys.
I have a network hard drive with stuff on that I can access via USB, but I can't access it via my router.

So far it's connected with a straight through network cable to my WiFi router that my WiFi laptops connect to the internet with.
The HDD seems to have an IP address asociated with it and my PC gets a respone if I ping it through the command prompt in XP, but when I enter the IP address into my Internet browser I get no page displayed.

How to I access the drive over the network?

Forum Editor 19:40 01 Jul 2007

you've enabled sharing on the drive folders that you want to access? It's not a good idea to share the root on a network drive, by the way.

Unless you enable file sharing on the data directories they won't be visible on the network.

bayford 16:29 02 Jul 2007

Thanks for that. I've enabled file sharing by connecting the drive to a PC via the units USB connection, but when linked via Ethernet to thr router I still can't work out how to access it.

I suspect it may just be me not knowing how to access a network drive correctly?

mikesuther 19:24 02 Jul 2007

I have not got a hard drive on my network but i have two network printers. when you are trying to connect the unit to the network have you taken the usb lead out all together?

just connect using the ethernet cable, so that the unit can be recognised on the network. if you have the ip address i would try typing it in to the explorer window if it is not working. if the ip address does not appear then you need to find it by finding what the ip address is, i am unsure on how you do that but there are plenty of wise oracles who will be able to help.

I hope this helps,

kind regards Mike

bayford 21:15 02 Jul 2007

At the moment I'm connected via USB to one of my WiFi PC's while I upload data to the HDD, but I'll try to access it again via LAN on the router when I've finished uploading as there's about 40Gb worth of media to transfer to it.

The network drive unit I have is quite a high spec one. It has a video output that if I connect to my TV then I can browse the menu via IR remote control to check or change it's IP & subnet addresses. It's more of a stand alone media centre really, but I want to use it to share files wirelessly round the house and unfortunately the manual is all Japanese text, even the website is no help.
click here

When I type the IP address into my browser though I still page not found.

bayford 21:19 02 Jul 2007

Scratch the web address, it's click here

bayford 21:22 02 Jul 2007

3rd time lucky click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?