How do I..... ?

Mr Confused 11:36 15 Oct 2003

I have recently bought a new computer with a DVD RW, which I have brought to Uni with me. However, I was wondering if there was any way I could connect my TV (I haven't got a TV card on my PC!) to the DVD RW to make recordings of tv programmes. If anyone knows can they let me know what equipment I would need & recommend any software- if it is possible that is!

smegs 11:56 15 Oct 2003

I would think U will need a Tv out G/Card.

BarryKeith 12:37 15 Oct 2003

Without a TV or video in/out card there is no way to record TV programs on your computer. Many computers are supplied either wth a TV-out card or it is available as an upgrade, but to record TV you need either a video in/out card or a dedicated TV card, both of which are comparatively expensive.

stlucia 17:06 15 Oct 2003

Before you get a video-in card in your PC, check there's a video-out facility on your TV.

But if you're just wanting to watch programmes you've missed, a cheap or 2nd-hand VHS recorder is probably more cost effective than doing it through your PC.

john-232317 17:39 15 Oct 2003

You might be able to get an old ATI allinwonder card at a PC fair.I got one for 25 quid years ago.

All you need is an arial coax to it, or a sky box etc.

You can then watch tv, record progs to your hard drive. But you need a big drive.Then burn them to your dvd, you will prob have software with the dvd to do this .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?