How to dispose of a laptop

Molly_Don 14:18 30 Jan 2010

The motherboard on my laptop is history, this laptop's not long had a new 350GB new hard drive installed plus 2 GB of RAM.

I wouldn't know where to begin in starting to dismantle it as I'm not computer minded, however, can someone advise me the best way to dispose of it?

Technotiger 14:46 30 Jan 2010
  Technotiger 14:49 30 Jan 2010

Or in UK ...

click here

palinka 14:51 30 Jan 2010

you could try Freecycling it - someone might be able to use the hard drive and or the RAM.
No money changes hands, Freecycle exists to save stuff that would otherwise end up in the tip; freecyclers give stuff for free.
Try a google search for a group near you. Signing up used to be a bit confusing - may have improved in last year or two - but after that it's easy.
Some freecycle groups have now left "Freecycle" (which originated in the USA) and have become "Freegle" groups - you could try a google search for that as well.

If all else fails it'll be down to your nearest council tip - nowadays they usually have a section for electronic/computer stuff.

GaT7 14:51 30 Jan 2010

You could also give it away on FreeCycle click here.

Technotiger, isn't that site US-based? G

Technotiger 14:53 30 Jan 2010

Correct my Friend - hence my second link :-)

palinka 14:53 30 Jan 2010

TEchnotiger types less than me and faster!
Useful list, Technotiger.

rdave13 14:59 30 Jan 2010

I'd remove the harddrive with it's laptop 'caddy' and keep for future use as a backup harddrive. You can buy 'enclosures' for these 2.5" hdd's so just search Amazon or similar for them. 350 GB is a lot of backup space.
As for the ram, as it's newish, you should know the specification so I'd be tempted to keep the pair of modules in case they can be used in another laptop.
The rest I'd take to my local recycling center.

Molly_Don 15:07 30 Jan 2010

Cheers for the replies guys, the one issue I have is the hard drive, although it's fairly new, I don't want any information stored on it falling into the wrong hands, as the motherboard is U/S does this automatically wipe the hard drive?

Technotiger 15:11 30 Jan 2010

No it does not wipe the hard drive - you would be better getting a friend to remove the hard drive for you - as per rdave13s suggestion.

Technotiger 15:13 30 Jan 2010

PS - if you are anywhere near me, I would be happy to do it for you - FOC of course!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017