How to display PC on laptop

bigggles 08:43 12 Dec 2006

I would like to use my laptop as a monitor to repair my PC, but I can't seem to switch the display. I have fiddled with the display properties/settings, which seems to offer 2 screens, but I'm clearly missing part of the process.

If it helps, the laptop is running XP/NVIDEO Geoforce 440, and I'm hoping to re-install Win 98 on the PC which at the moment has no operating system.

Thanks

TonyM 08:54 12 Dec 2006

I don't see how you could do this - I assume you mean you want to take the graphics output from your PC and put it into your laptop to use the laptop screen as a display.

Laptops generally have a graphics output connector, so you can connect them to a projector or other external monitor - but I've never seen a laptop with a graphics input connector.

bigggles 09:08 12 Dec 2006

Tony - you are correct in that I want to display the PC output. I had assumed that the graphics output connector on the laptop (which I have used for a projector etc.) would be able to receive a signal from a PC. Looks like I'll have to find another way!

terryf 00:52 14 Dec 2006

Think again, graphics output is output, what you need is an input, and there generally ain't a video input of the sort you need, do you think that your monitor is broken? because, as a demonstration, I plugged a (larger) monitor into a laptop graphics output. This would prove that the monitor is ok.Then you just have to replace the graphics card if you have one or go to safe mode to use vga graphics. Try to tell us what you are trying to achieve in repairing your PC

bigggles 17:40 14 Dec 2006

I have resurrected an old PC from the depths of the garage, and I want to find out if it's worth upgrading (was running Win 98, not sure of spec now). It doesn't have a monitor of its own, and I don't want to keep disturbing my normal set up. I had hoped to use the laptop to display the PC screen, but I think I now understand the input/output question.

My last hope then - is there a way of displaying output on a device (laptop, TV, split cable etc.) without unplugging my normal monitor?

Great forum - thanks for the advice, and were you really replying @ 00.52?

Diemmess 18:26 14 Dec 2006

BUT ...... If all you want at present is to be sure the old PC still works, then coping with the nuisance of heaving your monitor around and a very few plug/unplug ops is worth it to save a hole in your pocket.

Once you see signs of life in the old machine, or no signs at all you will know better where you stand.
At this point depending on what you are going to do with the old'un you can either buy a s/h monitor, or sell it on, or, or.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?