How to destory a faulty HDD?

TomJerry 15:11 22 Apr 2005

One of my HDDs is faulty. Computer just cannot see it. I think that the electronic part is faulty.

It is under warrenty, but I really do not like other people to get hold of my data including work files and family video/photos. The data may still be on HDD because the actual HDD plates may still be good.

Is there any way to destory a HDD before send back for replacement when it can not be recognised?

I know the best way is to bin it and buy another way, but £70 is still some money to me.

Technotiger 15:16 22 Apr 2005

Hi, have you got a floppy drive - maybe silly question, but I know some do not. If you have then I would suggest booting up with Fdisk on floppy in the drive - you might then be able to do a re-format.

Cheers.

Yoda Knight 15:17 22 Apr 2005

Big magnets !!!

Yoda Knight 15:17 22 Apr 2005

Is it being detected in the BIOS ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 22 Apr 2005

Hard disk checks before you condemn it
click here

TomJerry 15:34 22 Apr 2005

big magnets maybe an option, but it must be very big becuase HDD is magnetically shielded.

woodchip 15:35 22 Apr 2005

Big Hammer, the bigger the better

dan11 16:10 22 Apr 2005

This may put your mind at rest or not.;-)

click here

Pooke100 16:11 22 Apr 2005

when you send it back do you think the techies are gonna shift through all you stuff? I doubt it. They'll have plenty of work to be getting on with.

Anyhow if it can't be connected successfully to the PC you aren't gonna be sure your data is gone, what ever you do to it...

Magik ®© 16:14 22 Apr 2005

if you are that worried, smash it up, or save it as a spare, and buy a new one yourself, they are not that expensive,it would save a sleepless night...

ventanas 16:18 22 Apr 2005

And if you deliberately damage it I don't think there is much chance of a replacement. As Pooke100 says, I doubt they will even think of sifting through it. I suppose you've tried to fdisk it, or used a low level format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?