how to delete a partition?

Superstylin 12:04 01 Sep 2005

hi, i have a 60gb hdd that has been split into 2 30gb partitions. (it's a new acer laptop that came with the partitions) i wish to remove the partitioned d: drive to leave a contigious 60gb c: drive.

the d: drive hasn't got any files on it so is there an easy way to remove it that won't mean losing any data from c:?

thanks in advance for any help

dave_and_confused 12:06 01 Sep 2005

Programs like Partition Magic can do this.

Superstylin 12:08 01 Sep 2005

and leave my data on c: untouched? are there any free partition deleting programs?

dave_and_confused 12:11 01 Sep 2005

Yes.

Never seen a reliable FREE partition program. Too risky to rely on Freeware for that sort of thing.

pj123 12:57 01 Sep 2005

Personally, I wouldn't remove the partition. All my hard drives are partitioned. The O/S and applications are on C: (as normal). All my personal files, data, photos, music etc are stored on other partitions. If anything goes wrong with my C: drive I don't lose anything important, (although my D: E: and F: drives are backed up regularly to DVD as well).

If you do want to remove the partition I am told a good free Disk Manager is Ranish from click here

Diemmess 13:28 01 Sep 2005

I know many people no longer partition the first HD because external HDs are relatively cheap.

I (like pj123) use partitioning as the first line of defense for all data and anything I would hate to lose when the C: drive is corrupt for whatever reason.

Superstylin 13:36 01 Sep 2005

i guess this is just down to personal preference....i've asked before now what i should put into my d drive and had responses that asked why i have a partitioned disk at all

Terry Brown 14:39 01 Sep 2005

If you are using a DOS system (Win 98 or Win ME, thee is a command called JOIN, which will link two drives together to create a new drive, unfortunatly XP has done away with this. This was used in the dark ages when a 5gb drive was all you would ever need. --What happened to those days?.

Diemmess 14:39 01 Sep 2005

I prefer to be able to scan. copy, or backup smaller rather than larger "drives." Whatever you like is best until something or someone convinces you otherwise.

Partitioning started for me in a dire period with 98 and SCSI troubles, before I knew about scanreg /restore and had to re-install too many times. I had just reached the dizzy heights of a 4.3Gb HD after Windows 3.1 a 700Mb HD, and a new build computer.

woodchip 14:45 01 Sep 2005

I did not tell you in your other thread but Fat32 creates more Slack Space i.e. wastes disc space the bigger the partition is. This is based on Fat32 Cluster size

click here

Superstylin 15:11 01 Sep 2005

i've had another think and realised that if i delete the partition then i'm going to have to make dvd copies of my documents regularly which i really wouldn't keep up, so the next best thing to safeguard the data would be to seperate it from c:. hence a partition is needed. then just because i can i'll create an image of c: to put in d:....then i'm left with 'what happens if there is an hdd failure' so i'll create a full disk image of the partitions (which is actually 3 having downloaded acronis true image trial, apparently acer put there own software into a small partition..god knows why)....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?