How to delete D:/My Documents

m800afc 23:35 04 Jan 2009

Win XP Pro: SP3
I have recently had to reinstall XP Pro. My drive is partitioned as C, for system stuff, and D, for documents and other data. "My Documents" on D is empty, but I cannot access it from Start>My Document properties>Find target. Unless I am able to delete the empty file I cannot restore my documents to the D drive. Naturally I have a "My Documents" folder on C after the reinstall. I am unable to open, move, rename or delete D/My Documents. I have tried using unlocker, but to no avail. On the microsoft site the explanations all assume "My Documents" to be on the C drive and do not solve the problem. How can I remove this file and create a legitimate D/My Documents?

Technotiger 23:47 04 Jan 2009

Using a program like Partition Magic (I think you can get a free one via Google, or a similar Free alternative) you should merge the Partitions into one, this will not lose any data on the drive.

Rather than mess about with partitions and moving your My Documents about, you would be much better off getting yourself an external USB drive and then using Acronis True Image back-up your entire C: drive to the external drive.

Technotiger 23:48 04 Jan 2009

PS - I don't think it is possible to create a 'legitimate' My Documents on another partition or drive, other than as per my suggestion above.

lotvic 00:16 05 Jan 2009

This is the problem and solution microsoft KB click here "Access is Denied" error message when you try to open a folder
"For example, although you use the same user name and password, you may no longer have permission to open the folder after you complete the following steps:

1. Before you install Windows XP Professional, you change the actual location, or target location, of the My Documents folder to another volume.
2. You format the primary partition.
3. You install Windows XP Professional."

also see
microsoft KB How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder click here

google search click here

Sea Urchin 00:18 05 Jan 2009

How to move My Documents

click here

Technotiger 08:29 05 Jan 2009

Thanks ..... never too old to learn.

m800afc 09:13 05 Jan 2009

I solved the problem at this site.
click here
I had to change the permissioms, not straightforward, but everything is sorted now.
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Technotiger 09:21 05 Jan 2009

Grreat, thanks for your feedback. Kelly's Corner is a really good site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?