How to create a Switch Box or share 2 pcs???

suburban train 16:28 06 Feb 2007

Hi All

Where I work on some of the desks we have two desktops one for our normal work and one for system testing.

There seems to be some sort of switch box which connects both PCs together so that it shares the LCD, keyboard and mouse. To switch between the desktops we hold on the scroll wheel and press right click on the mouse.

Can anyone tell me how this is done as I am keen to do this at home?

I have had a look at the setup at work but they are well hidden under the desks.

Thanks

Totally-braindead 16:31 06 Feb 2007

Something like this maybe click here there are many others just search the website for "switch box"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:31 06 Feb 2007
  Belatucadrus 16:59 06 Feb 2007

click here is the one I use, neat and simple.

suburban train 17:16 06 Feb 2007

Have you got any USB devices?

I have a USB keyboard and mouse but most of the KVM I have seen are PS/2

Thanks for your responses.

Belatucadrus 17:24 06 Feb 2007

Sorry no, while I do have USB devices on each machine my mouse and keyboard are bog standard PS2.

suburban train 17:25 06 Feb 2007
  Totally-braindead 17:32 06 Feb 2007

I don't know but I don't think so its not a switch box as I know the term you need one of these click here

suburban train 17:35 06 Feb 2007

Hi All

If i dont find many better , i may go for this product

click here

Totally-braindead 17:40 06 Feb 2007

There are cheaper ones but I've never used one, the thing to do is check whether the others who have bought one like it as you appear to be doing. The link you supplied is for connecting a peripheral such as a printer or scanner to more than one PC and as such I don't think it would do what you want.
Maybe someone else will say I'm wrong and correct me.

suburban train 17:51 06 Feb 2007

Sorry its this links to DABS

click here

Basically I would like another switch device to add an additional computer so i can run windows 2003 and SQL server. I may even use software to split down the second machine and run Linux on it as I am very keen to learn this.

My current machine would not be able to handle to operating systems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?