How to copy VHS tapes to DVD

JoanSims 01:02 31 Dec 2007

Hello,,, I would be very grateful if the forum could give me some advice on how to copy from a vhs film tape (eg Warners or Universal film)to DVD via my xp pro desktop pc.My questions include : -

1/. Firstly,is it possible to copy a shop bought film? i.e. are they encoded or scrambled or somesuch copyright protection?

2/. If 1/. is in the affirmative then what kit do I need to do it?

3/.How do I do it?

Regards JoanSims

ambra4 02:23 31 Dec 2007

Check these sites

click here

Pamy 12:08 31 Dec 2007

Even if you found the means to copy the bought VHS film to a DVD I think it would be llegal. You can tell by readng the information on the VHS cover/ box / when first playing the tape (copyright info

FreeCell 13:02 31 Dec 2007

Most commercially produced VHS uses some form of copy protection using Digital Rights Protection and in order to copy the tape you would need to crack this protection. As Pamy says this is illegal as it contravenes the owner's copyright and it is against the rules of this forum to encourage attempts to do this. Sorry.

LANDCRUISER 14:33 31 Dec 2007

You could buy an ARCHOS muti meida unit & copy films music ect on it as they have signed up for the rights to reproduce copys of films music ect

JoanSims 13:05 01 Jan 2008

Thanks for the replies and HNY to all.Pretty much as I thought.I'm just too tight to throw them away I guess and some are quite rare as well... Oh well that said, can anyone advise on how to do it for vhs tapes that I have recorded from the tv??.. regards

mymate 15:00 01 Jan 2008

I think this will work,but maybe one of the clever guys will say different click here

Failing that,why dont you just buy a Dvd recorder.They are only about £60 now.

Pamy 17:03 01 Jan 2008

This seams a good way and reasonably priced click here

Totally-braindead 19:50 01 Jan 2008

Forget the linking to the PC, VHS tapes are analogue and you have to convert them to digital before burning a disk its takes a lot of processing power, a lot of time and a lot of hard drive space.
You can get leads with modules on them that are meant to do it but I've never tried them and some of them seem to be a bit of hit or miss, easiest way is connect a video to a standalone DVD recorder linked to TV, set the DVD to record from the video and press play on the video and record on the DVD recorder. Much simpler than any other method in my opinion.

lofty29 21:40 01 Jan 2008

Hi I as far as I can accertian it is not illegal to make back ups of any tapes or dvds that you own provided it is for your own use. the biggest problem with vhs is the poor quality of the finished product. I have backed up some rare old vhs that are not available on dvd, via the pc coupled to a vhs simply to preserve them, and the problem of transferring them via a dvd recorder is that the resulting discs will not always play on a different machine

Totally-braindead 00:12 02 Jan 2008

lofty29 I'm afraid we have had this arguement many times on this Forum. It is illegal in the UK to make backup copies or whatever you wish to call them. In the US I think you are allowed to make 1 copy as long as you hold onto the original but in the UK it is illegal. Theres probably no way any company would take you to court for making one copy of a video you already own but it is illegal.

Regarding copies made through a standalone recorder not being playable in a different machine I cannot understand that and have never heard of that. I have known quite a few people who have done just this, and none of them, who all have different makes of machines I think, have ever had a problem.

If you use a decent quality DVD disk to record to and you finalise the disk via the recorder it will play on 99.9% of DVD players and recorders.
If you use a + DVD as an example and your DVD player can't read + disks then no it will not play. But I have to point out the same is true if you copy it to a PC and then use it to burn the disk. I am unsure of which disk + or - is more compatible with the majority of players these days, I personally have used both mainly because my DVD player can read both but some can't.

And as far as I can see theres no real difference in the quality of the image you get, it won't be better than the tape was but should be approximatly the same.

If you want to use the PC then go ahead but it does take a lot of time and hard drive space as I said earlier and the way I suggested is easier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017