How to copy text in Excel?

johnga 23:56 07 May 2004

I use Excel 97 with XP. I want to be able to copy text data (a mixture of alpha and numeric characters) from one cell to another without going through the tedious Cut and Paste procedures. Does anyone know if there is a better way, please?

Sir Radfordin 00:11 08 May 2004

er...surely cut and paste isn't that tedious is it?

Try highlighting the cell that contains the text you want to copy and drag from the bottom right corner to the cells you want to copy the text into. This will only work if the cells are adjacent.

If that doesn't answer the question the answer is either no, or we need more info!

jaraba 06:41 08 May 2004

Cells can be dragged to a new location using drag & drop.
this can also be used to copy cells.

johnga 00:04 09 May 2004

Thanks fellas. It is tedious when there are a considerable number of items to be copied, especially in a large (wide and deep) spreadsheet where the data to be copied is from a 'bottom' cell to one in the top/right hand side of the spreadsheet and vice versa.

The point is that if I want to copy figures from say, A10 to X192, in X192 I can type =sum(A10) and the figures appear nicely in X192. But this does not work with a mixture of text and figures. Something for the next generation of Excel, perhaps!

VoG II 00:15 09 May 2004

Record a macro to do it. Tools/Macro/Record new macro.

Or describe precisely the layout of your worksheet and what you are trying to achieve and we can help you.

Simsy 07:07 09 May 2004

"if I want to copy figures from say, A10 to X192, in X192 I can type =sum(A10) and the figures appear nicely in X192"...

This will work if A10 contains numbers, but NOT if it contains text, because of the function you are using, "SUM"

You need to either need to just have the formula "=A10", (and you might need to have the same formatting, i.e. if A10 is formatted general and X192 as date it might produce strange results),

or copy and paste; Highlight the cell you want to copy, copy, go to the destination cell, right click and choose paste special, values.

(As a side note, if you want to copy the text for use elsewhere it's usually better to copy the text from th eformula bar, rather than copying the cell.... if you copy from the formula bar you are copying "text".... if you copy the "cell" you are copying, well, a "cell"... You can't paste a "cell" into some applications... but you can paste the text contained)

Regards,

Simsy

johnga 13:04 11 May 2004

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Most useful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?