How To Copy SATA Hard Drive

23790954 12:43 21 Apr 2006

As a pensioner, I have built and repaired numerous desktop computers for my family. All of these have used IDE hard drives, and I have copied these on several occasions. However I have recently built a Micro ATX system for my daughter-in law, who runs a unisex hair salon. This micro ATX system has a SATA2 hard drive installed, and I would like to make a copy of this, for data safety purposes, in case of trouble with original hard drive. As I cannot use the MASTER/SLAVE settings to copy one hard drive to another, can someone be good enough to explain how I would copy this hard drive, to another, considering the SATA system uses only a single cable. Many thanks to anyone who takes the trouble to help me with this query.

pipedream 13:27 21 Apr 2006

I bought a Belkin PCI SATA controller card in PC World last week (£19.99) and used this to add a SATA drive to one of my PC's - you could maybe fit one of these to another PC, plug the SATA drive into this and copy to an IDE drive, or a second SATA drive (the Belkin card supports two SATA drives).

The Old Mod 13:30 21 Apr 2006

You could buy a pendrive and save data to this every now and again, that way it will always be save, and not on the pc.

DieSse 13:59 21 Apr 2006

The simplest way would be to get an external USB2 hard drive, and maka a copy to that.. Then you can also take the external drive away from the premises, for added security.

DieSse 14:02 21 Apr 2006

PS - the system almost certainly has two SATA ports, and probably an IDE port too, for the optical drives.

If yoy wanted to use a second SATA drive to copy onto, that would not be a problem - neither would using an IDE drive on the Optacal drive IDE cable.

I'm not sure what relevance you think tht Master/Slave settings on the drive have - drives, however thay are connected, have different drive letters, and copying from anyone drive letter to any other is the same, no matter what the actual connection type.

DieSse 14:04 21 Apr 2006

PPS - if you already have a spare IDE drive, you can just get an enclosure for IDE drives, with a USB2 interface, and fit the IDE drive into it.

terryf 14:25 21 Apr 2006

My motherboard has at least 2 sata ports and surpisely enough to me both drives on each port had to be set to master (I whiled away a happy afternoon figuring that out). I can recommend getting an external USB hard drive and a copy of Acronis, make a backup of C drive on your external drive before doing anything else then you will be safer. Acronis helps you to make a bootable CD that allows you to restore from the USB drive if all else fails. I also recommend EA8 to back up all your emails and OE account settings on the usb drive. I have a 2nd drive. I only have OS and progs on the C drive, everything else on the D drive, backups on USB drive, EA8 to make backups of emails, accounts and browser settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone