How to convert Vista NTFS to XP version?

stlucia 17:47 28 Oct 2008

I bought a new PC with Windows Vista. First thing I did was create two partitions in the single 500Gb HDD, and try and install XP as a dual-boot.

That didn't work, so I then formatted C:\ to get rid of Vista, and installed my XP. All my old software and hardware now works, except Partition Magic. Norton's help people say it's because PM doesn't work with Vista's NTFS system, so I must re-format my HDDs using XP.

Is there any simple way changing the system to XP NTFS without formatting, please? I'd rather not go through the rigamarole of re-installing all my software if I can help it.

Switcher 18:35 28 Oct 2008

I am not aware that there is any difference between Vista NTFS and XP NTFS per se. However their may be differences in how the file systems are managed by the two operating systems. I think that it is the operating system that is the problem rather than the file system

Switcher 18:39 28 Oct 2008

I am not aware that there is any difference between Vista NTFS and XP NTFS per se. However their may be differences in how the file systems are managed by the two operating systems. I think that it is the operating system that is the problem rather than the file system

T0SH 18:47 28 Oct 2008

The file system Vista uses is an newer version of NTFS from that used on XP

Not sure if it is backwards compatible though

Perhaps Google will know the answer

Cheers HC

T0SH 18:55 28 Oct 2008

Just found this on wiki XP "NTFS V5.1" Vista "NTFS V6.0"

Cheers HC

stlucia 19:14 28 Oct 2008

I don't know if one version is better than the other, but what the Norton people told me is that Partition Magic does not read the Vista version (6.0?) of NTFS, and they have no plans to make it do so.

Looks like I'll have to move data, reformat, and then reinstall programs and data :-(

stlucia 14:46 10 Nov 2008

I've sorted the problem by reinstalling Windows XP. The installation program allowed me to delete all partitions except C:\, and reformat, as part of the installation.

Norton PM works fine now, as do all my other programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone