How to connect to an LCD projector?

Pineman100 17:02 09 Sep 2008

My wife is borrowing an LCD projector for a Powerpoint presentation from a laptop. Please can anyone advise me what cable will be needed to connect the two devioces together?

Apparently the projector has a VGA port - will that mean using a cable which is VGA at both ends? And will it need to be male-male, male-female or female-female?

Is SVGA the same thing as VGA?

Scuse my ignorance! And thanks for any advice.

jack 17:14 09 Sep 2008

2 cables
1 as you surmised VGA the connectors will be correct for ou put from lappie and input to projector
The second could be an RCA A/V cable or S Video
You lappie almost certainly will have S Video- looks like a PS2 mouse/keyboard socket but different pinout.

DieSse 20:36 09 Sep 2008

I use a projector every week at the computer club. It connects to the VGA port (of a desktop machine). Your projector will almost certainly connect to the VGA port on the laptop, and come withthe correct cable.

One thing you need to be aware of is the resolution of the projector. It may be up to 1024x768, or it may only be up to 800x600. I've found that 800x600 works best, particularly if you want to see other parts of the desktop than the presentation itself (which you will of course simply display at full-screen)

This means you will have to set your laptop VGA port to the correct setting. I strongly recommend you do this before you go to the presentation - it doesn't look slick hunting through settings before you display the actual presentation.

If you need sound as well - you'll need speakers connected to the laptop too, separately. Some projectors (very few) have an amp and speakers built-in - it still need a sound cable from the laptop.

Take care not to jolt the projector when the bulb is on, or for several minutes afterward. The filament is at it's most fragile then, and the lamps are horrifically expensive. Most projectors allow you to keep the fan running after lamp switch off, to help cool it down.

Try and get a laser pointer - some have them built-in to the projector remote control.

DieSse 20:38 09 Sep 2008

PS forget about VGA/SVGA - it'll make no difference in your setup.

Pineman100 18:17 10 Sep 2008

Jack - Thank you very much for your advice. It's much appreciated.

Diesse - as always you've given me a completely comprehensive and invaluable answer. Thank you so much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires