How to connect laptop to tv via usb port

Keviv 12:14 18 Mar 2011

Hi I would like to know how to connect my netbook to my cousins tv via the tv usb port

When you insert a usb stick or an ipod into the tv it recognises the device as a hard drive from which files can be played - I would like to connect the netbook so that it is recognised the same way. How would I go about doing this?

thanks

Keviv

johndrew 12:17 18 Mar 2011

Have a look through this lot click here I'm sure one will provide the answer accurately for you.

Keviv 12:27 18 Mar 2011

most of the videos in that link look like they connect the tv as a secondary monitor via the vga/hdmi ports of the laptop.

What I want to do is slightly different in that i would like to use the netbook as an external hard drive.

thanks for the swift reply,

Thalmus 12:36 18 Mar 2011

what you are trying to do is not possible. To get the results that you want you will need to invest in an external hard disk

Furkin 13:22 18 Mar 2011

Sorry to butt in here guys, but my Son asked me a similar thing last week.
He asked if he could connect a bare external HDD to a TV (with appropriate interfaces). He works away a lot and wanted to take such a thing with him.
I assumed that he would need some way of controlling the hdd: mouse / remote or such like.

I'll watch this post with interest.

F

robin_x 13:45 18 Mar 2011

Keyviv-If TV has network port (RJ-45 ethernet) or its USB port accepts a USB wi-fi dongle, it might be possible to see netbook as HDD

--------
Furkin- Should be OK. Probably ext HDD needs to be formatted as FAT32. Maybe see if it recognizes a Flash stick first. (reputable mfr's one)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone