How to connect DVI-D and DVI-I Dual Monitors?

Holymiky 22:41 26 Feb 2014

Hi all,

I have had quite a bit of experience with Dual Monitors but i wanted to ask everyone this.

I have a new computer which has 2 DVI slots from the graphics card DVI-D and DVI-I.

My 2 current monitors are a generic PC Monitor and a HD TV. I want to ask what cables i would need to buy to make these work with my new computer as i have tried various cables and adapters and usually only one monitor works no matter what way i switch things around.

I was wondering if i would need to buy a new monitor or is there a way to connect them without buying a new monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Woolwell 12:09 27 Feb 2014

The graphics card is?

Holymiky 12:25 27 Feb 2014

1GB EVGA GTX650Ti SSC

Woolwell 12:31 27 Feb 2014

I assume that you are using the Nvidia Control Panel.

What connection does the TV have?

Holymiky 12:53 27 Feb 2014

The TV has a female VGA slot.

Woolwell 12:58 27 Feb 2014

You need to make sure that you have a DVI-I cable and use that and the DVI-I to the VGA input. This may help How to tell cables apart

Holymiky 15:27 27 Feb 2014

I'm pretty sure that I have tried that, it's just the DVI-D that doesn't seem to work I think.

Holymiky 20:00 27 Feb 2014

What do you mean by the top connection?

Ian in Northampton 20:27 27 Feb 2014

I doubt this helps, but you never know. I was working on a similar problem on my son's PC. No matter what I did, one of the screens stubbornly remained black. It was only after a long while (for some reason, I moved the cursor/arrow to the black screen) that I realised that he'd set the wallpaper/desktop on that screen to - er, solid black...

Holymiky 22:57 27 Feb 2014

I did check everything Ian so i don't think that is the case.

I have tried some different adapters and cables etc and i can't seem to get it to work.

Secret-Squirrel 09:42 28 Feb 2014

Holymiky, which ports does your "generic PC Monitor" have?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?