How to communicate using Skype

ponytail 08:45 12 Jan 2014

I have recently installed Skype on my laptop but as I have not used it before wondered what the procedure was to communicate with other people.I have a USB web cam and mic but the laptop has a built in web cam.The laptop is a Asus K73E and my OS is Windows 7

onthelimit1 10:05 12 Jan 2014

You should use the built-in camera. You need to set up your account with skype (no money involved, but gives you a user name). You then need to add contacts to your skype list. Ann email will be sent to those you choose (they then have the opportunity to accept you as a contact or not - helps to prevent random people getting onto your contacts list).

That's about it!

compumac 10:26 12 Jan 2014

A very useful tool if you have contacts that also have Skype if you wish to use the video facility. I use Skype video with relatives here and abroad. Far better face to face than just by verbal communication. Also the ability to click on to a phone number displayed on the PC screen and call them from there - always assuming that you have purchased credit. I obtained £5 worth of credit many moons ago and still have some left.

ponytail 22:23 12 Jan 2014

Thanks for the replies but jockie's link seems to be all about making phone calls or sending text messages.What I really want to do is online chat similar to what I did MSN I think that was what it was called.Did not have webcam then just chatted on line.And now also use the webcam to see the other person

onthelimit1 08:48 13 Jan 2014

If my comments are insufficient for you , then watch this basic guide.

ponytail 09:05 13 Jan 2014

Thanks onthelimit1 just looking at your link now which is much appreciated.Do you know if MSN Messenger is still available as I was told when I sign into my hotmail account to click on messenger but cannot see it there .

onthelimit1 09:17 13 Jan 2014

I've never used messenger because skype is so good and all my family use it! Talking to daughter in Sydney for half an hour at no cost and with smooth video with no delay is fantastic. You don't have to use the webcam - you can just chat if you want to

ponytail 12:14 13 Jan 2014

Hi again onthelimit1 just to let you know I have just had a long chat with my brother in Spain chatted for about forty mins.Used my USB mic and very good video quality.

onthelimit1 17:26 14 Jan 2014

Excellent!

ponytail 13:45 16 Jan 2014

When I had a chat with my brother in Spain using Skype I also sent him a music file which he received.I have just tried to send him a sport video what I did was go into Skype right click his name select send file browse to folder find file left click on file select open it then it appears as waiting.Did this this morning but it is still waiting.Have I done it right the music files I sent arrived ok so what could be the problem with the video file

onthelimit1 13:59 16 Jan 2014

Never done it, but probably the size of the video file (much bigger than pics or music).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?