How to clear unwanted items in drop down menus?

Faser 19:54 07 Apr 2004

I have an annoying number of entries that are no longer valid in the drop down menus.

For example if I right click a folder it gives the option to go to programmes that I removed all traces of, including in the registry.

Pesala 20:23 07 Apr 2004

If you select Run, from the Start menu, and type sendto in the program box it will find the directory \windows\sento which lists all the options on the right-click sendto menu. You can just delete any you don't need.

Faser 20:43 07 Apr 2004

Thanks Pesala tried that but this only contains the send to that I wish to keep.
I am trying to get rid of things like "Erase beyond recovery" and Music Match".

VoG II 20:45 07 Apr 2004

I think that you need to explain exactly what you mean. Which drop down menus in which application.

anon1 20:46 07 Apr 2004

have you tried right clicking them and deleting?

Pesala 20:58 07 Apr 2004

I managed to remove "Print with DirPrn" from my context menu by search the registry for "dirprn" and deleting a couple of registry keys.

If you know how to backup and restore the registry you could try a similar approach, or wait till someone more expert comes along to guide you carefully through the process.

GaT7 22:04 07 Apr 2004

There're tutorials here: click here and click here. They involve editing your registry so work with caution & backup before making making changes.

There are some programs that will do it for you.

1. ContextEdit - click here for info. click here to download.

2. Contextmenu ControlFreak - click here

3. FileTargets - click here

4. The Right Click Commander - click here

Use above programs with caution - I'd downloaded them some time ago but didn't get around to trying so don't know how effective they are in reversing changes! If things should go wrong you can use the tutorials to correct things.

Faser 10:33 09 Apr 2004

Many thanks Crossbow7.

Using the info from the links you provided I have tracked down and removed the offending entries.

Tinkey Winkey 12:02 09 Apr 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?