How to clear auto fill on RUN command

charro 19:58 04 Sep 2007

Hi, I've been having problems coonecting to the internet. One of suggestions from Virgin Media help pages is to reset the TCP by runing NetShell utility in Windows XP.
When i open Start, Run and type cmd the black box comes up with C:\Documents and Settings\ user name>
I cant seem to get rid of this
I want to type in the path C:\>netsh int ip reset c:log.txt
If i type this after the prefilled bit it will not recognize.
I need to start from C:
Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Charro

recap 20:12 04 Sep 2007

C: then you should be abe to type your command

charro 20:17 04 Sep 2007

When i click run and type cmd and hit enter the black dialogue box that comes up already has the C:\>doc settings bit already in and this is what i cant get rid off to type in C: plus path required

Acx 20:26 04 Sep 2007

Have you tried typing it like this

C:\Documents and Settings\user name>netsh int ip reset c:\log.txt

VoG II 20:27 04 Sep 2007

At the C: prompt type

netsh int ip reset c:log.txt

and press Enter.

VoG II 20:37 04 Sep 2007

The bit to the left of the > just shows the current folder. You don't need to delete it. If you want to change the default folder click here

lotvic 21:30 04 Sep 2007

read click here for info

The Network Diagnostics tool is provided to the command line via what Microsoft calls a “helper” to the Netsh utility. To access the Network Diagnostics tool from the command line, you’ll open a Command Prompt window and type the command Netsh -c diag
so the cmd box should read C:\Documents and Settings\ user name>Netsh -c diag

Once you do, you can learn more about using Network Diagnostics commands by typing any one of the following:

"?" or "help"

"c" or "connect"

"p" or "ping"

"s" or "show"

Also read from Microsoft click here

To manually run the command successfully, you must specify a file name for the log where actions that are taken by netsh will be recorded. For example, at a command prompt, type either of the samples that are listed in the "Command samples" section. The TCP/IP stack will then be reset on a system, and the actions that were taken will be recorded in the log file, Resetlog.txt. The first sample creates the log file in the current directory, while the second sample creates a path where the log will reside. In either case, where the specified log file already exists, the new log will be appended to the end of the existing file.

Warning Programs that access or monitor the Internet such as antivirus, firewall or proxy clients may be negatively affected when you run the netsh winsock reset command. If you have a program that no longer functions correctly after you use this resolution, reinstall the program to restore functionality.
Command samples
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

so when you have opened the cmd box it should read
C:\Documents and Settings\ user name>netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
or
C:\Documents and Settings\ user name>netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

charro 08:31 05 Sep 2007

Hi
just got back in from night shift. Many thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Will give a try now.
Thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?