How to clean keyboard keys?

Need4Speed 08:51 04 Apr 2006

Just spilt some porridge on my laptop (dont ask)and now the space bar keeps sticking.

Any ideas on how I can sort it out!!

Please help

Need4Speed 08:58 04 Apr 2006

laptop is a Sony vaio fs315s

Wak 09:25 04 Apr 2006

If it was an ordinary keyboard I would suggest copying the exact layout of the board into a .DOC file and print it out before even touching the keys.
Then try prising (pulling) the keys off and gently cleaning underneath with cotton buds or a small artist-type paint brush.
I could only guess that you could do the same with a lap-top but wouldn't really know.
Best of luck.
Also suggest you have toast in the morning instead???

vinnyT 11:25 04 Apr 2006
  docbokkie 14:26 04 Apr 2006

I had a Sony Vaio with sticky keys - not sure if the design of the keys is the same as on your model. It IS possible to remove the keys, gently, but it is VERY tricky to get them back on - it involves a lot of willpower, patience and a steady hand - and a pair of fine tweezers. Wouldn't advise it until you are feeling particularly brave, as you can accidentally snap the tiny clips underneath the keys that hook onto the springy bit of the keyboard. Having said that, unless you want to pay for professional help, you haven't got much to lose!
Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?