how to check when bt will support faster broadband

pookie 21:37 08 Dec 2006

hi

both tiscali and bt say my line will only support up to 2Mb at the moment - how can you tell when the line is to become faster - ie support 8mb? I have tried bt customer services but got no where.

many thanks

P

Jackcoms 21:40 08 Dec 2006

click here

Put your phone number or postcode in and hit 'Check!.

On the next page click BT ADSL

Technotiger 21:41 08 Dec 2006

Hi, If you are already with BT, I am pretty sure BT will inform you if or when your line is uprated.

Cheers

pookie 21:48 08 Dec 2006

thanks guys. i did as jackcoms suggested and:
' ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 2Mbps or greater ADSL connection.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 1.19km from the exchange (straight line distance).

There appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing DSL connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.'

being a bit thick - does this mean anything to you??

Jackcoms 21:54 08 Dec 2006

Yes, it means what it says!

Although your exchange is enabled for ADSL Max (up to 8Mbps), your line will probably only support up to 2Mbps at the moment.

Which confirms what Tiscali and BT told you.

Keep going back to the site to see if there are any changes.

Dipso 22:14 08 Dec 2006

Sorry to disagree but the line checkers are not to be replied on. I find it hard to believe that someone only 1.19km (even if this is straight line distance) can only get 2 Meg.

Each time I check my details I get a different result, I've seen 5, 6, 8.

The best way to find out what you are likely to get is to look at your line stats from your modem or router. Then enter them into a calculator like this click here and seewhat that says.

Press Man 16:46 09 Dec 2006

I am also with Tiscali 2Mbps and have not yet been offered the higher speed service, as pookie. As you can see from the same check at The Broadband Resource web it states I should get 5.5Mbps or better, but still no offer of upgrade??

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 5.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

There appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing DSL connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

Stuartli 17:53 09 Dec 2006

There are only a handful of BT exchanges still not offering ADSLMax broadband and, in view of your distance from the exchange, it seems somewhat strange that you are apparently unable to receive a faster connection.

Jackcoms's SamKnows link is normally a very reliable guide.

TOPCAT® 17:53 09 Dec 2006

Here's part of a reply I gave to another thread. (It's worth a try to see if it comes up with a more accurate result.) TC.

"You can also access the BT line test check at click here You need to change your dial-up window details to: [email protected]_domain, leaving your password unchanged. TC."

Dipso 21:38 09 Dec 2006

I'm lead to believe the samknows checker gets it's info from BT as do the other availabilty checkers.

TOPCAT® - Unless I have misunderstood pookie and Press Man haven't yet been offered the upgrade to ADSL Max so the BT speedtest would only confirm the speed of their current product.

pookie and Press Man - Have you asked to be upgraded? The upgrade does not cost the ISP anything and therefore should not cost you anything. Tell them you are considering migrating to get the faster connection and see if this makes any difference.

Press Man 22:02 09 Dec 2006

Dipso,
Yes, I have emailed Tiscali asking, and all I got was "we are still working with BT to upgrade" we will send you an email when available, or words to that effect! They can not or will not give a date when "up to 8Mbps" will be available, it seems as though they have no "logical upgrade plan". If I or anyone else was to decide to change ISP how would we find out which ISP can actually supply "up to 8Mbps" connection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?