How to check if SD disk is formatted

axelbrora 11:48 06 Jan 2008

Hi,

I have copied a large amount of files 1.5GB on to a Micro SD disk. After doing so I read an article which stated that the first thing you should do is format the disk.

I am now not sure whether to start all over again by formatting the disk. I thought that most disks were already formatted when you bought them. Is there a way to check the status of the disk?

I am using XP.

Axel

Pamy 12:08 06 Jan 2008

Stick the disk into a disc reader and see whats on it

Technotiger 13:10 06 Jan 2008

I have never formatted any of my SD or XD cards.

Technotiger 13:11 06 Jan 2008

PS - if your card needed formatting when you put the files onto it, I am sure the System would have 'told' you so.

martjc 13:32 06 Jan 2008

...except in quite unusual circumstances. I once had an SD card refuse to work in my Fuji camera - then realised the camera format was slightly different from the MS one. I have to format cards for use in that camera, while they will word fine with another camera without formatting.

If you can see the files on the card, everything is ok.

martjc 13:33 06 Jan 2008

Sorry, that should read 'work fine'

Technotiger 13:43 06 Jan 2008

Hi, very interesting - my camera is the Fuji F810, and have never had to format a card. Did you find the same with any SD card, or just the one - I am thinking perhaps a rogue card.

martjc 13:06 07 Jan 2008

...in the camera - to save possible hassles later. But my Fuji is quite old. I'm sure things could have changed by now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?