How To check if an Email Threat is a Hoax

Danoh 20:36 21 Jul 2005

There are numerous emails warning about viruses, etc., which are hoaxes. The most recent claims the I.C.E. campaign is a precursor to a virus attack.

I always check on a few web sites to make sure they are not hoaxes, even if I don't usually bother to pass such items on.

Current Netlore Internet hoaxes, email rumors and urban legends
click here
click here

A couple of Anti-virus vendors websites as well;
click here
click here

Use the sites search facility to locate the one you have received a warning about.

Danoh 20:37 21 Jul 2005

as this is an "F.Y.I." item, this post is just to enable me to turn the Resolved GREEN TICK on.

xphile 23:37 21 Jul 2005

If it isn't from someone I know - I don't even open the e-mail - It gets deleted straight away. No virus - no problem.

DrScott 10:11 23 Jul 2005

Mmm.. interesting if it is a hoax, since it was printed in the BMA News (i.e. from the place outside which the number 30 bus exploded)... I didn't believe it at first until I read it in print!

DrScott 10:13 23 Jul 2005

Aaah... I see what you mean now! The hoax is that ICE is a hoax...

click here

Danoh 19:42 23 Jul 2005

DrScott, apologies for my imprecise phrasing click here

Charlie Babbage 13:34 26 Jul 2005

I recently received pishing emails purporting to be sent from Ebay and PayPal. Luckily I spotted a spelling mistake but they certainly look pretty genuine at first glance, so watch out!

If you receive one, don't follow any links and forward it with the full message header displayed to [email protected] or [email protected]

Charlie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)