How cheaply can I build a p.c

nodger 23:30 19 Mar 2005

I consider myself to be relatively p.c savvy and have offered to build my friend a p.c as cheaply as possible.All he needs is a base system that will get him on the net and perform basic office functions - no crazy gaming powers needed or audio performance,video editing etc etc just the basic's - does anyone know a reliable suppliers of cheap quality components or base units I can check out (as close to £100.00 as poss) I trust you lot, so let me know!

alan227 23:37 19 Mar 2005

You could try this supplier, they are all used base units.
click here

Jeffers22 00:13 20 Mar 2005

If your budget is only around £100, you are likely to be restricted to second hand as the cheapest you will get a mobo, chip and RAM new is around that price for a Sempron 2200 on a PCChips board with 256 RAM and you still need a few bits and bobs. Morgan Computer supplies do some refurbs, quote cheap from time to time.

griffon 56 02:50 20 Mar 2005

Hi Nodger,

click here on Page 6 of the classifieds at the back of your very own PC Advisor (you'll have to work out the page by counting because they're not all numbered) does a base unit at £148 inc VAT. It has a 2200 Sempron, 128M RAM, 40 G HDD, a 56x CD-ROM and everything else is on-board. They're the cheapest I've seen, but Maplin Electronics does very good value mobo and processor bundles.

Regards.

Jak_1 03:34 20 Mar 2005

Would go along with Jeffers. A £100 budget is not really viable if you are going to build one. I have bought from Morgan Computers many times and they have been reliable and competative in pricing.
If all that is required is to get onto the net and Office functions then a secondhand pentium 3 with 250MB RAM will surfice. A lot also depends on how much net time will be used and if download speeds are a precedence.
A secondhand crt monitor alone will cost minimum £20! Then there is the keyboard, mouse etc.

Would also look at the offers at click here

Sorry to put a dampener but a £100 budget is really not realistic for even the modest new build.

Then there is the OS and other software to be considered!

Jak_1 03:48 20 Mar 2005

Whoops,256MB RAM, not 250!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?