how to change from wired to wireless ?

  woofwoofbark 08:11 14 Aug 2006

Hi , I have a wired Broadband connection ...

My main telephone socket/box is in the kitchen ( next too the fridge/freezer ?? cool setup lol) anyway ... there is an extension running out and through the hall into my room where I have connected a filter , I have a trust 445a router wired ... speeds are ok ... around 6.5mb on my adsl max upto 8mb

anyhow ... my dog , in her wisdom , decided to chew the extension cable , which I have patched up and the speeds are still good ... I would like to know if its possible to change from wired router and convert too wireless ... what would I need

many thanks for your help

  mgmcc 08:58 14 Aug 2006

You need a "Wireless" Router/ADSL Modem to replace your existing wired one and a Wireless Network Adapter in the PC(s) that connect to it. You can then plug the router into the main socket in the kitchen and connect wirelessly from another room. Be careful where you locate a wireless router, because a fridge/freezer might well block the radio signal if it is between the router and the computer.

You could actually plug a "Wireless Access Point" into your existing router, which would effectively convert it to a wireless router, but "stand-alone" Wireless Access Points are expensive. It is usually no more expensive to buy a wireless router.

  FelixTCat 09:31 14 Aug 2006


If there is a telephone at the main socket in the kitchen, or anywhere else in the house, you also need a microfilter at those sockets - every telephone socket should be fitted with one.



  ArrGee 11:03 14 Aug 2006

Lot's of info for you...
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?