How to change the screen size in Redhat linux

keith-236785 09:12 27 May 2004

Hi

in Redhat linux i want to alter the screen size to 800x600, but when i do i lose the taskbar and cannot do anything other than shutdown and re-start which resets the screen size.

i would also like to know how to access all partitions on my hard drives (windows partitions) so i can get to my photos/documents etc...

while i am here, anyone know how to get a Fuji Finepix A202 to work under linux?

may sound simple to some people but i am only just starting my life with linux. if i can address a few niggly issues then i might just change to linux proper. (i am fed up of giving my hard earned money to bill (megabucks) gates).

i have also tried Mandrake 9.1 but i cannot get onto the internet through Mandrake so it was goodbye to that idea.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

Chegs ® 10:01 27 May 2004

click here=

Google is your friend,use him(especially for Linux probs) ;-)

keith-236785 00:19 28 May 2004

thanks Chegs ®

anyone else on the other issues?

Chegs ® 01:51 28 May 2004

With RedHat I think you need to "mount" the windows partitions to be able to access them.I am using Suse,it is very like windoze in that I have an icon on the desktop to access my windoze partitions thru the router.I didn't need to do anything,it was like that right from 1st boot.I did manage to get Mandrake to reveal my MSHOME network,but wasn't able to access any of the partitions within.

I have a "Readme" on "Making a DOS/Windows partition visible in Linux"

As a by-the-way tip,I am also including the commands to mount a DOS/Windows drive in Linuix.Usually your C: drive will be /dev/hda1,D: drive will be /dev/hda5,E: will be /dev/hda6 and so on.If you ask what happened to /dev/hda2 to /dev/hda4,well,they are reserved for primary partitions.Never mind,here is howto make your windoze partitions visible

$ su

Password:(enter root's password.It is not displayed onscreen)

#mkdir /mnt/winc /mnt/wind #These are the "mount points"

#Mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/winc #Now your C: drive is /mnt/winc

#Mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/wind #Your D: drive is /mnt/wind and so on

#exit

Note however that you have to remount the partitions each time you reboot the system.If you want them to be automatically mounted every time,you have to make entries in the file /etc/fstab.Here are sample entries for C:/D: and E: drives

C: drive:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winc vfat defaults 0 0

D: drive

/dev/hda5 /mnt/wind vfat defaults 0 0

E: drive

/dev/hda6 /mnt/wine vfat defaults 0 0

and so on.Also,if the hard-drive is a primary slave,replace hda with hdb.If it is a secondary master,you have to say hdc,and finally,if it is a secondary slave,it is named hdd.As a note of warning, /etc/fstab is a very important file.Dont play with it.Be careful.

No doubt the format of PCA will mix it up and make the above unreadable,but type "Making a DOS/Windows partition visible in Linux" into click here will probably take you to where I d/l'ed this text file and printed it out.

keith-236785 09:59 28 May 2004

wow, thanks for that mate. thats given me something to bite into. I have printed that out for later reference as at the moment i am on windowsxp and can't try ths out.

Chegs ® 10:39 28 May 2004

click here

I have been trying to relocate the full "readme" that I had d/l'ed and printed out.After months of trying I finally came across it again,its here.It is 31 pages of helpfull hints and instructions for linux's way of doing things.Using this guys info,I have mastered the simpler things in linux.Hope it helps you too.

keith-236785 13:13 28 May 2004

Thanks again, im off to work now so will play around when i get home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?