How to change mp3's back to Winamp

TommyRed 21:22 27 Jul 2003

The lad installed a new "Logitech" keyboard and at some point during the installation because there was a jukebox thingy with it he's probably clicked loads of buttons and now all our mp3's are in a different format and are played by this 'musicmatch' jukebox. Unfortunately, it has ceased to function meaning we can't listen to any of our music, how do I change all the mp3's back to Winamp?

Bodi 21:58 27 Jul 2003

Can't you open the files in WMP and see if you can covert them?

Does Winamp recognise the format? You could try and open the files from that.

This will at least put your thread back to the top.

Bodi

paddyjack 22:08 27 Jul 2003

have you tried open with

in explorer single click on one of the files, then hold down the shift key click again, a dialogue box should open, then click on open with.
in the next box find winamp click on it. hopefuly it should work ok that way

Confab 22:13 27 Jul 2003

Its probably just the file association thats changed nd not the files themselves. I take it that what you want to do is click on the file and it will open with Winamp. There are two ways to do this. Firstly you could un-install and then re-install winamp that should then associate all mp3's with it or you can change the file association. Let me know what operation system you have. With win98 you hold-down the shirt Key then right click on the mp3 file. A duologue box will open and one of the options will be open with. Choose this and then rom the list click on the winamp icon. make sure that open all files with this program is ticked.

TommyRed 22:13 27 Jul 2003

Bodi,
Yes it worked loading and playing them through winamp. Thanks
TR

Confab 22:22 27 Jul 2003

There is also another way. If you open winamp and right click on the equaliser bit then go to options and preferences then file types. Click on the box that says selec all. Done!!

TommyRed 22:37 27 Jul 2003

Confab
Tried your solution but couldn't find the file types under preferences. I am using Winamp 3 on 98SE.
TR

TommyRed 00:02 28 Jul 2003

The situation seems to have resolved itself, don't know how, but all mp3's are as before. Thanks to all contributors, TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017