How to CD to find out which hardware is playing up

Europa 19:40 29 Nov 2006

My computer has been playing up for a while, I just got a CD which should find out which piece of hardware is defective, do I have to boot up from CD through the bios (and if so how to do that) or do I boot up into windows first and play the CD normally?
The CD is called Ultimate boot cd.
Thank you.

VoG II 20:12 29 Nov 2006

As far as I can see click here is not really a tool for an 'Absolute Beginner'.

If you want to run it you will need to set the BIOS to boot from the CD drive click here then restart with the CD in the drive.

terryf 20:56 29 Nov 2006

Just looked at the link and I agrre that this perhaps isn't the best tool for an 'absolute beginner'. Perhaps you could describe in what way your computer is 'playing up' that has led you to believe that it is hardware related together with details of your system and os

Europa 17:55 30 Nov 2006

It has been playing up for a while, I did mention it in previous threads.
At boot up, 2 things happens : or the blue screen says that the file <Windows.root>\system32\ntoskml.exe is missing, or it comes up with this error STOP : 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80545FFO, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F
At first I could restart the computer to reboot into windows, and once it was there I could happily work on the computer all day without problems, but it got worse. Once it corrupted my sound drivers, I had to reinstall the realtek drivers, I have two graphics cards set in SLI, but it shows as I only got one card (probably one of the cards is not working anymore).
It takes more and more times to boot into windows without having that blue screen coming in between, and I did notice the big fan on the motherboard (heatsink?) which supposed to start spinning when the temperatures reaches 46 degrees is always spinning like mad when the blue screen is coming on.
Last time I used that computer, I tried to listen to a CD, but it was playing at accelerated speed???? Then that fan started spinning at 43 degrees and the blue screen was back.
It is happening more often now.
I was told that the Error code was hardware related, it could be the graphics card but I should eliminate the possibility of any faulty hardware.
Why would the sound get messed up as well if it was only the graphics card?
It was suggested as well that it could be a virus messing up the system, but it seems that the same problems happens, file missing, same error, graphic card, sound problems, not all at the same time.
That's why I wanted to use that diagnostic tool to find out first if any of the hardware was faulty, then look at something else.
At the moment I am using my old Athlon850 which has never let me down, not even now.

terryf 19:52 30 Nov 2006

It could be that the graphics card, if recently installed is overloading your PSU or maybe your PSU is faulty. If you can, borrow one from a friend and try a substitution. the program you are proposing won't work very well if you are using a faulty machine to diagnose itself

terryf 19:53 30 Nov 2006

PS use the PSU from the Athlon?

Europa 20:16 30 Nov 2006

The graphic card was not recently installed, it came with the system over a year ago, and has been working well until recently. As I have two cards in SLI, I should be able to cancel one card and try the other, and vice e versa, to see which one is faulty and take it out and run the computer on one card but I don't know how to do it. I would not use the PSU from my old computer as I need to keep one to get on the internet.I am very nervous with getting into the computer, as I never done it before.
A very stupid question : if your lone graphic card is faulty and don't work, can you still see anything on screen ie are they any graphics integrated with the motherboard? (Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe).

terryf 23:23 30 Nov 2006

Can you find out whether your motherboard has integrated graphics, you could do this by plugging the monitor into the monitor socket at the rear on the panel where you plug in mouse, keyboard, etc, reboot and see if monitor works. Then consider removing graphics cards and see if that improves things. I read on a graphic card review that graphic cards can take up to 120 watts each which is a hefty load. I am only guessing this to try to determine whether it is the PSU that is ailing, by removing cards you will lessen the load. Then see if PC behaves.

Totally-braindead 13:52 01 Dec 2006

The board does not have integrated graphics its the same board I have but I haven't tried SLI yet so don't know if the display would still work if one card failed.

terryf 19:25 01 Dec 2006

You need to take out 2 graphics cards to lessen the load on the psu. If you do this and move the monitor cable up to the panel where you plug in mouse, etc. you will find out if your PC works better thus proving whether it is the power supply failing

Europa 12:07 02 Dec 2006

Someone told me that if I run the CD and I make a mistake, the only thing that will happen is that the diagnostic will be wrong, it won't damage the computer.
I did find another thread which states that you need to follow the instructions to the letter, or else it will mess up your computer.
Which one is true?
My monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 940BF) is plugged at the back of my computer, it is connected where it should, everything is plugged in the back panel of the tower.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?