How to Capture a jpeg off of an AVI file????

Sparkly 15:00 02 May 2009

Hi all, i have two AVI files of family and would like to take a capture off of the screen and save as a jpeg, when the avi is stopped it stoppes on the beginning of the avi file which is the part i want to save as a jpeg.
I have pressed the PrtScn button and i can open it in paint but every time i crop the capture to take out the media player window and save it to my pictures all i get is the media window and it is a blank screen. Can anyone shed some light on how best to take and save a capture as a jpeg??
Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:17 02 May 2009

What "player" are you using to watch the avi file?

Most players have a scene capture facility to give you a "snapshot"

Sparkly 15:22 02 May 2009

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\
Its windows media player 11.

jack 15:51 02 May 2009

try click here

You will need an image editor to take the capture further however [as you would with any screen capture device I guess]

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:01 02 May 2009

WMP 11 is hard to take snapshots from you need to switch off overlayers its just not worth the trouble.

click here VLC player will play anything, is portable (can be run from a USB stick) and will allow you to take the snapshots you need.

Sparkly 16:13 02 May 2009

Hi jack thanks for the reply gave it a try it takes the capture and then previews it to me, i then open Serif PhotoPlus X2 and paste it into a new image and all it pastes is the WM Player window without the image it captured and previewed to me seconds earlier aggghhhh ??

Sparkly 16:17 02 May 2009

Hi again Fruit Bat /\0/\ just downloaded your link will post back in a while, thankyou.

ened 16:24 02 May 2009

I use this click here and it is excellent for what you need with some basic editing functions as well.

Sparkly 16:29 02 May 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ that did the job a treat two nice captures of to family members at last, thanks for your assistance.

Sparkly 16:31 02 May 2009

Hi ened thanks for your link Fruit Bat /\0/\ came up trumps for me but will certinally give yours a try allso, thanks again for your reply.

jack 17:44 02 May 2009

the image it captured and previewed to me seconds earlier

Hmm strange that - must be WMP11 playing a silly game.
I had not tried it with WMP- it works pretty well with all else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?