How can I transfer pictures.

edenworkshops 13:33 28 Mar 2009

Hello

I have just found out that Kodak no longer provides it's "Easy Share" software for Win 2000. niether do they provide he software for my obsolete DX6440.
Niether will they enter into any communication regarding my camera.

So I am left with the problem of how to transfer my pictures from the camera to my hard drive.

I believe the camera has a memory card as I opted for a higher capacity card when I bought the camera.

Thank you for any help.

Richard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:41 28 Mar 2009

click here
put your card in a card reader and windows will show it as another drive in explorer . you can just drag and drop photos from the card to the hard drive.

Taff™ 13:41 28 Mar 2009

You don`t need the Easyshare software and Picasa is better anyway. I think the camera uses SD Memory cards and a USB card reader would be the answer. Doesn`t the camera have a mini USB connection anyway? If so you simply plug it into an XP/Vista machine and the computer will recognise it as a mass storage device.

Taff™ 13:44 28 Mar 2009

It does have a USB port so a cable might be the answer. It`s below the Card slot click here and you can see it if you scroll down.

interzone55 14:36 28 Mar 2009

As Taff & Fruit Bat pointed out you can either get a memory card reader or connect the camera to your PC with a USB cable plugged into the mini USB port - you may have got one of these cables with the camera, if not you can get them online.

One point though is I notice you're using Win 2000, you will probably have to install driver software to get the PC to notice the memory card reader and /or camera...

Taff™ 15:03 28 Mar 2009

alan14 - well spotted. Drivers for Win2K click here Hope that link works!

edenworkshops 16:14 28 Mar 2009

Thank you very much for your replies.

I have looked and found what I think is the memory card, it is about 1.5" by 1" on one side it has the words PNY 256mb on the back is a row of gold contacts.

There is a mini socket beside the memory card but it is not a USB socket, forgive me I am a bit of a newbie, I dont know the name of the type of socket, but it's not USB.

Does it matter what type of memory card I have?

Looking at the card readers Taff kindly provided, it seems they accept most memory cards.

I suppose I should find out exactly what type of card I have, right now I don't know.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Richard

edenworkshops 16:19 28 Mar 2009

Also I have downloaded the driver software, thank you.

You mentioned some software called Picasa. If I installed this would it give me access to the cameras memory in the same way easy share used to.

Thanks once more.

Richard

Taff™ 11:08 29 Mar 2009

It is a USB type B socket - square with two bevelled corners. click here and scroll down to Types of USB Connector, there are pictures on the right. The type B connector is typically used on printers however the type B on cameras are smaller versions of the same shape. According to the original camera specification there was one supplied in the box. If you don`t have it you can take the camera to Jessops and they will certainly have one although have a look in Poundland first - I found a useful set of interconnectable USB adapters with various attachments for different USB connections. The standard flat A connector has a retractable cord and 6 plug in adapters, I`m pretty sure one of those would do it.

Using Picasa does allow you immport directly from the camera. You will need the version for W2K click here and click the link.

edenworkshops 12:34 29 Mar 2009

Hello Taff

Thank you I very much appreciate your help.

I found a cable with a USB Type B plug on one end and an ordinary USB plug on the other end, it belongs to the easy share printer dock.

So I plugged it in and straight away the new hardware was detected.

I went through the add new hardware wizard but when I came to the search for a suitable driver I got stuck as I was not able to find the driver, I did install the DX6440 driver yesterday.

I went to the Kodak file in Program Files to try to find the driver but I could see nothing.

I noticed that the file name the wizard was looking for was this....$winnt$.inf

Thank you Taff.

Richard

Taff™ 23:31 29 Mar 2009

Sorry Richard, I`ve been out most of the day and ironically working on a W2K system when you last posted! I`ll revisit this tomorrow - both the thread and the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?