How can I throttle my daughters connection??

keca 21:28 24 Nov 2006

I have a 5.5 Mbps broadband connection running through a Netgear DG834G router. When I am on the internet everything is fine, as soon as the daughter gets onto MSN thats it, everything slows right down. Is there anything I can do to limit her connection speed to maintain mine? I can't find anything about the Netgear being able to do anything but is there something out there that can that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

mgmcc 23:01 24 Nov 2006

Does your router have QoS (Quality of Service) settings which would give your connection priority over hers?

keca 09:59 25 Nov 2006

Hi,

I can't see anything about it in the Manual so I guess No it doesn't. I guess Netgear don't do it but does anyone else? If I need to get a new router I may consider it though if it solves my problem.

mgmcc 12:59 25 Nov 2006

I have Telewest Cable broadband, not ADSL, but my Linksys router does have QoS settings with which to set priorities click here

Ashrich 18:40 25 Nov 2006

Netgear has the QOS in the firmware but has chosen not to implement it in the DG834G , from what I can gather .I'd go for the ZyXel P660HW bundle click here
damn good price as well .

Ashley

keca 11:41 26 Nov 2006

mgmcc & Ashrich,

Thanks for the reply I'll start looking for a new router starting with the Linksys and the Zyxel

Regards
Kev

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?