How can i test a computer for electrical safety

danny0001uk 11:40 08 Jul 2003

what kind of things should i check and how

Thanks

Danny

Megatyte 11:57 08 Jul 2003

There's nothing you can test without metering equipment. Just make sure that mains cables/plugs are not damaged and fuses are of the correct rating. That's about as far as you can go.

AH

Jester2K II 12:02 08 Jul 2003

Is this for your own or for a company / other? If you expected to sign to say its safe then i'm sure you need to be a qualified electician!

Mike 12:16 08 Jul 2003

"There's nothing you can test without metering equipment. Just make sure that mains cables/plugs are not damaged and fuses are of the correct rating. That's about as far as you can go."

I disagree one major safety test you can make, is to check that your computer is regularly dusted out. If not cleaned out often major overheating can occur!

Megatyte 12:20 08 Jul 2003

The post was "Electrical Safety"

AH

Sir Radfordin 12:29 08 Jul 2003

Its going to take an awful lot of dust for 'major overheating' to occur. My PC has run 12+ hours a day for well over a year in a room that is never cleaned (hey I'm normally a student!) and it never over heated.

Unless you are going to do PATS testing on something there isn't much you can do apart from check the condition of the plug/leads etc.

Valvegrid 12:46 08 Jul 2003

The only way to electrically safety check any electrical appliance is with the correct tools and that is with a PAT tester. In classI equipment (equipment with an earth) the Earth loop impedance needs testing along with the leakage currents under various fault conditions.

It doesn’t hurt to visually check mains plugs, not forgetting the correct fuse is fitted for the appliance in use, leads for their integrity, including the IEC plug (the plug the goes into the computer). Also extension leads, inspect them, if they look damaged in any way, don’t try and repair them, replace them, they are only pennies compared to a life.

In case you ask I am qualified.

Keep safe

Regards

Paul.

jospar 15:47 08 Jul 2003

In a work enviroment, electrical appliences can be inspected and tested by a non quilified electrcian only if that persons has attended a training course and once passed they can only carry on if they have recieved regular up-dates aprox once a year.

All employees are responsiable to report any damge to electriacl applience, and to ensure that the offended applience is not used, until inspected by a quilified electrcian ect.

My husband who works for the same campany as me, is our supervisor who has this responsiblity, on one occassion he actually cut a hover lead after he put a DO NOT USE notice on it, and the cleaners where caught ignoring this.

Has being the Health and saftey rep in his training sessions, when he gets to this part, his words are if you find something and feel that it might be used, then if it's got a detachable lead, throw it away. If not then unplugged the piece of equipment, and then if necessary break it beyond repair, so it can't be used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?