how can i split music files to seperate tracks

patso 13:57 12 Nov 2006

i have audacity and am converting music i have on tape.when i export the whole file as a wave file to my music how can i then split the file up to seperate tracks and save them again before converting them to mp3.any help please

Tim1964 15:20 12 Nov 2006

When you have the track imported into Audacity (so you see the whole file as a dark blue 'mountain range') you can select the copy tool from the list at the top and highlight the part of the file you want. This can then be 'saved as' the title of the track and exported as mp3. You may need to zoom in to acurately find the start and end of the individual track.

Zorgalite 15:24 12 Nov 2006

Hi. I have done this in the past, by using audacity first (to capture from tape) and then using NERO, Wave Editor, to split it in to individual tracks. This has the ability to auto detect the breaks between the tracks (although it sometimes gets it wrong). If you dont have Nero, then what you should do, is instead of saving the music as a wave file, while you still have the captured adio open in Audacity you should then highlight one track at a time (its usually quite easy to see where the splits are if you zoom out on the wave profile), and then export them to a folder, as mp3 format, NOTE; this will only work if you have also installed the "lame" mp3 encoder (also availiable from the audacity website). I hope this helps. Regards.

patso 20:26 12 Nov 2006

thanks for the replies i have sussed it out thru your help.excellent prog.thanks again patso

eedcam 08:57 13 Nov 2006

If you are manually finding the breaks it pays to insert a silence break thenif you use wave editor it will be more accurate finding the gaps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?