how can I skip logon screen in xp ?

flick 22:27 20 Jul 2003

My son's laptop (running windows XP Home) is single user,and he would like to go straight to the desktop when he powers up. Is there a way of turning off the welcome and login screen.

One reason for wanting this is that shutting down or restarting windows does not work unless he uses the switch users option and closes down from there.

VoG II 22:34 20 Jul 2003

If you mean that he doesn't want to enter a password then Start, Run type

Control Userpasswords2

and do the necessary.

flick 22:55 20 Jul 2003

No it's not that. He already goes in without a password, but a friend of his has an xp computer which when he powers up goes straight to the desktop - no welcome screen, no login. Unfortunately his friend has no idea how he achieved this.

As I mentioned, one reason for wanting to try this is the problem he has with shutting down which only works when going through the 'switch users' then 'turn off computer' route. Any programs or windows updates that require him to restart the computer have to be done manually.

VoG II 22:59 20 Jul 2003

click here - I have not tried this.

flick 23:08 20 Jul 2003

Thanks VoG, I'll give it a try.
I will let you know how I get on, but not tonight as it's getting late.

powerless 23:11 20 Jul 2003

It works!

Djohn 23:11 20 Jul 2003

Or it could be that your son has two accounts or more set up. Try control panel/user accounts. If more than one user name is there, and not required, then remove it.

This will stop the log-on screen from showing. and should now enable the bootup to go straight to desktop with out being asked who is using the machine. j.

flick 23:36 20 Jul 2003

Thanks Powerless - it's always good to hear from someone who's tried out a suggestion.

Djohn - no, he only ever had one account set up, his own, although I did try adding another account when a windows KB article suggested that his shutdown problem might be related to the fact that it was a single user machine - other suggestions were 'under heavy stress', 'conflicting device drivers'- none of which applied.

With him as the sole user, the welcome/login screen appears at power up, but shutdown, restart and logoff do not work. By adding another user it was possible to close down the computer by going through the switch user, turn off computer routine descibed above.

Sorry if I confused things.

Somewhere95 00:44 21 Jul 2003

With XP, if you download ALL windows updates, including that dirty great 20Mb+ one for .net support, it adds a new user account to the startup proceedure. Cheek of it! Dont ask ya, just does it! I just deleted it and all was well again. (It didn't give it a name, but a number - the new user that is)

flick 22:12 21 Jul 2003

VoG
I tried your fix and it worked, so many thanks for that pointer. It didn't solve my shut down problem however, so I shall have to continue my search.

Somewhere 95
I too have found a new net account has popped up on my computer. What's it for? I deleted it too.

User-312386 22:15 21 Jul 2003

.net account is for different windows applications

i deleted mine as well

you can allways go windows update again if you need it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?