How can I remove files from a CD?

TonyV 13:52 17 Dec 2008

I have been playing around with various methods of backing up my files since Microsoft scuppered the backup facility I had used and cannot now retrieve them. In so doing I have tried a few backup programmes and seem to get on best with Comodo that was linked on this Forum click here, by Belatucadrus. It seems to suit me fine, but in playing around with it there is one folder with a number of files that I did as a test run that I would like to remove. Is there any way this can be done? As well as Comodo I have Nero 7 and it's bolt on goodies, but I can't see how to remove the referenced folder.

Thanks

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:09 17 Dec 2008

Only if its a CD RW not a CD R disc.

TonyV 14:11 17 Dec 2008

Yes, it is a RW disc.

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:16 17 Dec 2008

Then how did you burn it? what file system does it show?

To be able to read and write like a hard drive you should have used something like Nero INCD.
If you have just burnt as normal the CD RW will act like a CD R.

Not sur if a format will remove everything and then you can just put on the files you wish.

Please note RWs are not very good for backing up as they loose their reflectivity pretty fast and become unreadable. Far better to use a normal CD R a in multisession until it full and then finalise it

TonyV 14:41 17 Dec 2008

I think this particular Folder was done as a trial using Karen's Tools Backup. But interestingly, they appear to have been written so that they open in NERO CD Cover Document. I have no idea where that came from. I also have on the same disc a couple of folders that were completed via the Comodo programme. (They all seem to be read only as well!)

It seems to me the answer would be to wipe the disc clean and start again.

Another point you mention regarding the benefits of R v RW discs, I went in to our little town of Minehead this morning to the local Computer shop to buy a pack of RW discs and they didn't have any, but could order them for me. I wanted another set of RW for the convenience of the re-writable facility, but following on from what you have said, it would probably be better to go to the Read only system and work on the multi-session facility, and then not worry about trying to delete anything from the disc.

However, just as a matter of interest, how do I remove them any way apart from the complete deletion of the disc?

Cheers

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:46 17 Dec 2008

Yo can't remove individual files if burn't as a CDR I doubt if you can remove all by formatting either.
If used INCD they can be deleted the same ways as you delete files on a hard drive.

TonyV 14:52 17 Dec 2008

Thanks. I don't appear to have INCD on my machine, though it looks as though it ought to be part of NERO!

TonyV

john bunyan 15:47 17 Dec 2008

Tony V. Big Tescos sell CD-RW's. I think you have to format to delete files.I only use CD for grandchildren's photo or music to take to their house. That is why I prefer an external Hd or DVD-RAM for back up- I don't know why RAM DVD is not more popular as they are more like Hard Drives in behaviour. I use Roxio 2009 - similar to Nero.

TonyV 15:51 17 Dec 2008

Thanks for that. I've deleted via "Erase Disc" and then re copied all the folders again. Everything seems OK now, but it is a bit of a pain not being able to simply delete the odd Folder/File. It will probably mean that in future I get Read only discs and go from there.

Cheers

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017