How can I remove Desktopsmiley completely?

BIGBAGGY 20:02 20 Apr 2009

Hi, my daughter installed this on my Laptop. I have uninstalled it but it has left a Highjacker of some kind on it. I get popups all the time now, I never had them before, so it's definitely this that caused it. Also when I do a search I get this sometimes in the ADDRESS BAR.
click here
So its inbedded somewhere.
I have tried loads of different things ADAWARE SPYBOT my AntiVirus Reg Cleaners with no effect.

I am really angry at this/them. This type of thing should be illegal.

jimv7 20:13 20 Apr 2009

Download, install and update spybot from click here

jimv7 20:14 20 Apr 2009

Download, install and update spybot from click here

also try malwarebytes from click here

BIGBAGGY 23:19 20 Apr 2009

Tried the above and it didnt work ;-(

gazzaho 04:12 21 Apr 2009

I don't have any answers to your problem I'm afraid but you may find some help at this site click here if you follow the instructions and download Hijack this and post a log file someone may be able to help out.

jimv7 08:29 21 Apr 2009

Use malwarebytes, restart the computer and keep pressing f8, from the list of options choose safe mode, run malwarebytes with a deep scan. restart pc after.

BIGBAGGY 12:12 21 Apr 2009

ok Jimmy I'll try that ;-)

BIGBAGGY 18:37 21 Apr 2009

Tired it Jimmy didn't work. Found 4 Trojans but the problem remains. ;-(

I'm wondering if I should uninstall IE and then reinstal as it seems to be imbedded in something.

brundle 18:45 21 Apr 2009

You can't uninstall IE as such, it's interwoven too deeply with Windows. The only change that occurs when you untick it in Add/Remove Components is a few registry entries and the removal of shortcuts.

Go here instead; click here

mfletch 18:45 21 Apr 2009

Hi try this

DrWeb-CureIt

Please Download DrWeb-CureIt from here click here & save it to your desktop.

1/ Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe and then click Start
2/ An information notice will appear, click OK.
3/ This starts a short scan that will scan the files currently running in memory.

PS/ If you get a prompt to buy the full version just exit out of the window DrWeb will still work.

4/ If or when something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it.

5/ Once the short scan has finished and your Back at the main window, select the Complete scan button and then click the Green arrow to start the scan,

6/ Click Yes to all if it asks if you want to cure/move any file(s).

rdave13 19:45 21 Apr 2009

I'd also try toolbar cop. Runs on xp and vista. Run it and check the list for IE helper objects. Also look for unfamiliar toolbars and things like 'My Web Search', 'Fun Web Products' and Desktop smileys etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?