How Can I Remotely Link A Laptop To My Desktop?

Big L 266 10:52 22 Apr 2009

Hello. From time to time my arthritis and fibro play havoc with my body and sitting in my "office" chair at home isn't always a viable option these days because of the pain.

I currently have a brand new Dell Studio desktop which works fine and isn't in any way a problem.I am toying with the idea of buying a Dell laptop and wonder if there is a way of tying it in to the desktop to use from another room?

Ideally,I would like to be able to send & receive emails, download legal music tracks, play my music and some games,type up some documents etc, but do so sometimes from the laptop rather than the desktop,and have such do straight to the desktop rather than the laptop. The range of operation between the two would be no more than 30 feet maximum.

Is this viable and possible please? If so,how is it achieved and what questions should I ask Dell before I purchase? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for all your kind help.

Big L 266

DieSse 11:49 22 Apr 2009

Yes it's possible.

You need to set up a network. If you have a wireless router for you internet access - that's all you need (apart from actually setting it up). If you don't, you'll need to get one.

The router allows each system to access the web independently. And also allows each system to share each others files.

Setting up a home network for Vista

click here

for XP

click here

There's lots more about home networks if you google.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?