how can i re format a packard bell computer?

athenrye 17:35 23 Jan 2008

hi folks
my friends computer isnt working at all well
most of his programmes dont load and its very slow etc

i was going to re format it back to factory settings but he hasnt any disks

i was going to restore it to a previous date but none of the dtes work and they only go back to sept 07 he has had the machine much longer

i tried to do it in safe mode as well but the restore dosnt work then either

whats the best and easiest way to go about this without disks, or would i be able to get some online?
cheers
will

Pineman100 17:43 23 Jan 2008

If you ask Packard Bell, I believe they will sell you a disk that will enable you to reformat the computer back to the condition it was in when it left the factory. I can't remember the cost, but I suspect it's approaching £40.

Before you do that, did your friend ever create a restore disk when he forst got the computer? If not, then you may still be able to do it. PB computers usually come preloaded with software that will create a restore disk once.

athenrye 17:59 23 Jan 2008

no he didnt create a restore disk when he got it

would i be abe to do it now?
when the computer is obviously malfunctioning...

dosnt seem right that it could be done now
should have been done at the begining i expect

would i be able to use somebody elses restore disk? if its a the same or similar model?

cheers
will

Pineman100 18:37 23 Jan 2008

I can only tell you about my own Packard Bell desktop computer, which is about 18 months old.

When it was delivered, there was a chapter in the manual called "Packard Bell Master CD/DVD Creator". This explained how to create a set of master DVD's that contain an image of the computer's original setup, for later use if a restore was necessary.

It also explained that the same information was contained on a separate partition on the hard drive.

Try looking in the list of All Programs>Packard Bell Support>Smart Restore. Provided your friend's computer was set up the same way as mine, and hasn't had its hard drive reformatted at any time, you may find that you can restore it direct from that image partition.

If you need more guidance, I suggest you visit Packard Bell's website click here.

Microdot 18:55 23 Jan 2008

Hi
Try booting the Pc and holding down F11 (or F12)
This should take you to the hidden partition and restore Prog.

Cheers de Art

cream. 19:08 23 Jan 2008

try the F keys to get the hidden files.

If for some reason it will not load, if you have the product key on the machine, you could borrow a windows disk and use that key to format and reinstall.

athenrye 20:30 28 Jan 2008

hi guys
top people once again....

when you start the computer press f11
it then takes you into the recovery programme

great stuff, now got the pc back to factory settings, its like a new machine!

couple of hours to update everything and new progs etc but im flying now

thanks
will

Rob_08 02:17 08 Mar 2008

Does the restore dvd or reset put all the crapola back on that came when it was first installed ?
If it does then thats another pc off my list to buy. !!
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?