How can I protect "my docs" folder

frenchman96 12:34 18 Nov 2007

Hi Guys

i have never used passwords to protect my pc as I am the only one likely to use it.

But after saying that, as I now use a laptop and it has recently been away for repair, it made me think that I should be able to "lock" my docs away so no one can open it, can this be done and how.

I know I can do a "send to" a memory stick and remove it but I assume people could still find it on pc, especially if I only remove shortcut.

Sheik Yerbouti 13:00 18 Nov 2007

You could consider a piece of software that encrypts folders. XP has encryption built in and Vista Ultimate has bitlocker, but, someone correct me if I'm wrong, they both use your log on password to do the encryption( which the pc repair man would also need to reboot the pc at his workshop)

I think Acronis True Image has an encryption feature, using an independant password.

frenchman96 13:03 18 Nov 2007

Sheik Yerbouti

Does it make any difference that I dont "log on" ???

Where is this XP encryption option please

Arnie 13:05 18 Nov 2007

Backup your documents to your memory stick.

Now open the My Documents folder and delete all your documents.

Removing the shortcut will not remove your files, only the link to them.

Sheik Yerbouti 13:07 18 Nov 2007

click here

This gets a very good rating here.. click here

Sheik Yerbouti 13:09 18 Nov 2007

click here

XP encryption... Have never used it so not sure about the password used.. You need to enable EFS first.

click here

frenchman96 16:11 18 Nov 2007

Sheik Yerbouti

That folder lock site seems ok but, how can it be a trial when they show $35 alongside, is it free or not.

I have already done, start, progs, accessories, windows explorer, r/c my docs, general,advanced,
ticked "encrypt contents to secure data,apply, ok but nothing happens and I am not asked for password and can still open My Docs, should I be doing it to documents and settings instead of my docs.

frenchman96 16:12 18 Nov 2007

Arnie

I have done that anyway, but would like to encrypt a folder for future times.

Arnie 16:36 18 Nov 2007

Point taken.

Sheik Yerbouti 18:48 18 Nov 2007

The program is shareware $35 to buy.

click here

Some info in above link... Is your XP install on NTFS or Fat32 ? I've just tried it and it worked OK, After ticking encrypt box, click OK, then apply.

I tried this from desktop not explorer.

Are you logged in as Admin.? Maybe log out and log back in as guest account.

Sheik Yerbouti 19:05 18 Nov 2007

click here

click here

Some freeware alternatives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone