How can I network my TV/HDD recorder to my PC to give then net access?

Dorsai 18:53 16 Aug 2012

Hi, I have a TV and a freeview (HDD) recorder both of which are internet capable, allowing access to a limited number of TV-on-demand services such as BBC i-Player, Youtube, etc.

In both cases they will only connect by being hard-wired into my BB hub. I could of course start drilling holes in walls, door frames, lifting carpets, and the like to run Ethernet(? have I used the right name?) cables from my hub to them, or doing simular to move the hub closer, but a far simpler solution (cable wise) would be to run an Ethernet cable from my PC (that accesses the net via WiFi) to one or the other (a distance of about 2 meters).

(USB Wi-Fi can not be used on the TV, and the Recorder will only work with the USB Wi_fi Dongle sold by the manufacturer which costs about £80. Given the limited net access it actually gives I am not prepared to pay that."

Is it possible to use the spare LAN socket on my PC (that uses a Wi-Fi USB Dongle) to connect to the TV or HDD recorder, and set up my PC to act as some form of "Intermediary?"

Thanks in advance fror any suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:05 16 Aug 2012

I use a pair of Homeplugs to link the router upstairs to the Humax HD recorder downstairs via the house wiring

Dorsai 20:12 28 Aug 2012

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ ,

Those would work, but my living room only has 6 hard wired 13A electric sockets, and currently has 25 items plugged in to them via various extension sockets/cables. I was hoping for a solution that did not require adding yet more items plugged into the -19 sockets left ;)

My flat was built back when they expected the owner to have a small number of high demand items. It's a 30Amp ring-main, and the only reason it does not blow its fuse it that things like a "hands-free land-line phone base station" only draws 0.05Amps, and the lamp next to this pc has a 13W fluorescent bulb- 0.06Amps, My HDD TV recorder has a max power consumption of 17W (0.074amps) and so on- 20 of the 25 items plugged in have a total power consumption that is probably less than 5 amps, and I can not watch A DVD, play A CD, watch a Blue-ray, watch a recoded program on the TV recorder while on the internet hoovering the floor, on the phone, ironing a shirt, etc.

But your suggestion would work, and would be cheaper that the Panasonic dongle I need but do not want to pay £60 odd for just to watch BBCiPlayer.

Dorsai 02:55 24 Sep 2012

I finally resolved the issue with one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006CKWZT6/ref=ohdetailso03s00i00

A "WiFi Repeater Access Point up to 300 / 150 / 54 Mbps WLAN wireless amplifier for the socket including LAN connection , for 802.11 b / g / n standards with UK Plug"

It not only acts as a repeater, but it can act as a wi-fi to lan bridge. (I think that is the correct term.) I set it up to connect to my wi-fi, and then plugged a cable into both it and my HDD recorder. Now the HDD unit can see the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?