How can I make my network unsecured.

AbraC 22:07 15 Nov 2008

Hi. I have a wireless router BTVoyager which until recently was an open network. I do B and B and I encourage guests to bring their laptops so it makes it easy if they can just click on connect without inputting a key and passwords. I reset the router and it has reverted to its default setting. How can I make it open again? I know it's not difficult, I've done it before but I'm nearly sixty and can't for the life of me remember how I did it last time. I know that it makes the network unsecured but if anyone wants to sit outside my house and use their pc's then they're more than welcome. Your kind advice would be greatly appreciated.

FatboySlim71 23:12 15 Nov 2008

I can understand you allowing/wanting your guests access to your connection, but with been unsecured allows anyone in range access to your Internet connection.

The best advice I could give would be to have a secured network, this would have/use a network key, all you would need to do then would be to issue this key to your guests, they would then just enter that key when they were trying to connect to your network and they then would be connected. In this scenario anyone within range other that your guests would not be able to connect.

For a bit extra security, you could also change the network key on say a monthly basis.

Ozy 23:13 15 Nov 2008

i have never heard such foolishness,
do you not realise that someone could download allsorts of filth and it would register on your computer

AL47 23:43 15 Nov 2008

our network is unprotected, but theres no chance of anyone getting ours as we live too far from the road lol

would it not be better to give ur guests the passcode as fatboyslim71 said

FatboySlim71 23:44 15 Nov 2008

I can see where AbraC is coming from with the unsecured network thing, i.e. ease and convenience for the guests. But you would be better to be on a secured network and follow some of my suggestion.

With regards of someone downloading "Filth". The pictures or whatever would be on the downloader's computer and not AbraC. Anyway, if something did come of it, it would be easy enough to show that guests have access to the connection, i.e with it been a B&B and also there would be information down to show who stayed there and on what dates.

LastChip 23:51 15 Nov 2008

it's AbraC's choice. He just wants to know how to do it.

Go into your router pages wireless section and make sure either WEP or WPA-PSK is not activated.

If you've reset the router to default, almost all routes will NOT have those activated. So you should be good to go.

While you're there, you may wish to set the network name to the name of your guest house, thereby ensuring your guests can find it easily. Also, make sure you change your USER name (not always possible) and PASSWORD (always possible) for your router. You don't want a guest (or others) getting in there and locking you out.

Having said that, you would be well advised to think about the security issues you are opening yourself up to. Having threatening letters from solicitors claiming you've downloaded illegal software, is not something you really want to have to deal with. And yes, a colleague of mine has just had that happen to him!

Even a simple key, like abc123 or something, is better than nothing and not very difficult for your guests to deal with. In your situation, if you do that, certainly use WEP. I wouldn't normally recommend that at all, but you may have guests with older machines that cannot handle WPA-PSK. Please keep in mind though, simple security at the level we're discussing IS better than nothing, but ultimately, NOT secure.

Hope that helps.

AbraC 09:36 16 Nov 2008

Thanks to all of you for the advice, I'm now scared to death and I agree with LastChip that a simple password would be very sensible. I only had it wide open because guests would knock on my door at midnight and get me out of bed because they'd lost the wireless key I provided. So now I have to reset it. Sorry but I need someone to explain it as though it were to a person with learning difficulties, all of these proceedures assume a level of knowledge that I really don't have. So far I have changed the SSID to the name of my house. The Network Authentication says 'Open' The data encrypton (whatever that is) says 'WEP' and the 'Network Key' is a series of black dots. After I reset the router I had to input the wireless key which is on a label on the bottom of the router and strangely there are not enough of these black dots to correspond to the numbers on the label. Then there is a little box that says 'Key Index (advanced)'. My apologies for being such a thickie and a nuisance, I'm trying to get free advice I know. The last time I set the network to unsecured I phoned up a person who talked me through it in five minutes but it was £40 which is rather steep, we're all feeling the pinch a bit these days. I could kick myself for not making a note of it at the time. Thanks again for all your help and warnings, I now have to go and check to see if there are any weird devils with laptops hiding in the bushes and hijacking my Tescos order. Kind regards to all of you helpful people.

LastChip 12:15 16 Nov 2008

Your router (in a sense) uses two password.

The first password (which is probably the one written on the bottom of your router) is the default password to "enter" the router to make changes. A typical default user name and password could be:

User name: admin

Password: password

That would be true for example for a Netgear router.

This is the password you should change to prevent entry into the router.

The second, may or may not exist. This is the password you set-up for your wireless network; also known as a key.

click here for a page that refers to Netgear wireless router set up. (I'm referring to Netgear, as it's the most common home router). Yours may differ slightly, but essentially, it will be the same principal.

Select WEP:

Enter your chosen key:

and click Apply (or OK or whatever your router requires)

You may have to reboot the router for the changes to come into effect.

I'm happy to try and help further if you need it, but you could also try a Google search for your particular router. There are hundreds of tutorials out there specific to many types, that may offer a better solution for you. Often you can just follow the pages one by one and see exactly how it's done.

MAJ 12:38 16 Nov 2008

click here to get to a page that shows you how to setup the most recent Voyager (2110) router, AbraC. If you have a different model of Voyager router, you can get their instructions if you click here# and choose your model on the left. Obviously I agree with the points above about securing your wireless network, even if it is by using a simple key.

MAJ 12:41 16 Nov 2008

For the first link I provided above, click on "Wireless Problems", then click on "What is Wireless Security and how do I set this up...".

AbraC 15:15 16 Nov 2008

Thanks everyone - I've learned a lot today. Everything is now sorted, we are up and running and secure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?