How can I make my DVD RW/ROM multi region?

iqs 17:55 02 May 2008

Hello,How can I make my DVD RW/ROM multi region.I only have 2 more changes left before it is set to either R1 or R2.Any ideas please.Cheers

rossgolf 18:07 02 May 2008

wat do you mean....2 more changes?

iqs 18:39 02 May 2008

rossgolf,
When I insert a R1 disc,a window appears stating this is a R1 disc,you have 2 more changes left in regards to selecting the region for the DVDRW/ROM.This happens with all the video software I use.The last was VLC.
I hope this helps.Cheers

rossgolf 18:41 02 May 2008

they are universal and dnt need to be picked. i dont think it is anythink to worry about if u can still play r1 and r2 dvds

iqs 18:47 02 May 2008

all and thanks for the asdvice,question,how would ANYDVD make it multi region please?.Thanks

Sea Urchin 18:54 02 May 2008

AnyDVD is a program which allows you to play a DVD regardless of region - it's available for a free trial click here for 21 days but then has to be paid for.

iqs 19:43 02 May 2008

thanks Sea Urchin,cheers

Stuartli 19:44 02 May 2008

DVD Regions can be changed up to five times via an optical drive's Properties in Device Manager (DVD Region tab).

On the final change, it is permanently locked to the region chosen.

They are certainly not universal and it most certainly is something to "worry" about if you have disks from two or more regions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:08 02 May 2008

Region setting
There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system:
- 1 in the DVD drive
- 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management.
- 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!.
An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares.
On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo click here or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie click here or DVD Region Killer click here (the later is highly recommanded).

Note: Currently, the only software region free solution when using WinDVD Platinum to play DVD's is WinDVD Tweaker Pro ($18.00 US) click here

rossgolf 22:14 02 May 2008

sorry my bad. i didnt realise about all these locks etc..i always thought they were universal. :S
ah well. learn something new everyday

iqs 08:38 03 May 2008

Stuartli,and thank you Fruit Bat /\0/\ for your detailed info.Cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?